Page 6 of 18
Mazda Engine Performance \  my turbo build

my turbo build

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 25178
replies 176
following 25

cory_watson   +1y
ive got roughly $600-$700 in the set up. I bought the turbo and manifold used from ebay I couldn't find a local junk yard with any probes. I installed it all in about a day and a half. I would recommend it to anyone just wanting more street worthy power. it defiantly helped highway and up hill pulls, and it will also get up to highway speeds very quickly. its not a race car but it will break loose no problem. the best part of all it auctally helped fuel mileage quite a bit.
mjavy7   +1y
Cory, That is cheap!!! compared to a v8 swap.
ChaserJohnDoe, thanks for the input as well.

I wish I had know this in 1999 when all my High School friends were turboing Hondas I dropped a rotary 12A bridge ported in by B2000.
It was a ton of fun to drive but the turbo would have been my 1st choice if I knew the option is on the table. Just on the carb, intake, coils and wires I had $800 back then. Today I have a b2600i and might have to replace the engine soon so I am looking around to see what options are out there.
cory_watson   +1y
if this engine ever fails im going to do a rotary swap. that has always been my plan since ive had the truck. they are just expensive
anguswilly   +1y

That is around time I built my first turbo B22. My current truck has a much better setup, no expense spared (without going crazy) but it's still non intercooled at 6psi (maybe I'll intercool it but probably won't go much more boost, just to keep it simple) Lots of people make 400hp on these motors with the right parts and having also built a 5.0 B22 with a Vortech S/C - I can tell you that 4cyl. turbo is the way to go - way less hassle and almost as much power.
rokg   +1y
Hi all. Im new here. Ive had my 87 b2000 for about 7 years now and been planning a 5.0 swap, but then I came across your thread. Im seriously considering turboing my b. How much hp and torque are you making with current configuration?

And Anguswilly, what do you have to do to get 400hp out of our engines?

Thanks,
mymmeryloss   +1y

400hp? Umm youre not going to get that out of a 2.2 mazda engine. Sorry.
mjavy7   +1y
Yeah 400hp sound a bit high to me also.
rokg   +1y
That is around time I built my first turbo B22. My current truck has a much better setup, no expense spared (without going crazy) but it's still non intercooled at 6psi (maybe I'll intercool it but probably won't go much more boost, just to keep it simple) Lots of people make 400hp on these motors with the right parts and having also built a 5.0 B22 with a Vortech S/C - I can tell you that 4cyl. turbo is the way to go - way less hassle and almost as much power.[/quote]

I got 400hp from quote above. I was just curious exactly what would have to be done to acheive it. Not that i could afford to do it, just interested to know.
anguswilly   +1y

Well you obviously have not seen the guys who do it, the motor is VERY capable of taking lots of boost with only small mods.

It is not uncommon to see 300WHP (about 400hp)

You do realize that 1.6 honda motors are making double that on the daily right?
anguswilly   +1y

Well the block itself would not need much, just pistons and rods. You'd most likely want a 12V head (but not entirely necessary since you are boosting it) - O-ring the head or block and ARP head studs.

With that, you could do a T3/T4 turbo and about 20PSI - that would take you to or over 400hp.

These trucks handle lots of HP surprisingly well, my last truck (5.0 S/c) Dynoed 389whp and was easier to handle than a Mustang with that HP.