Mazda Engine Performance \  my turbo build

my turbo build

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 25150
replies 176
following 25

anguswilly   +1y
What are your AFR's ?

And I guess for now you can lower the boost by adjusting the WG actuator rod.
cory_watson   +1y
I don't have precise numbers, im using a narrowband a/f gauge which only has a scale.

its this exact gauge with a single wire 02 sensor. I couldn't afford a good wideband at this time.
cory_watson   +1y
couldn't get the intercooler any lower because the inlet and outlet was too wide to fit between the bumper brackets
thread post photo

jpg images

thread post photo

image hosting sites

a/f gauge
thread post photo

photo share
chaserjohndoe   +1y
i got mine it has a g16 out of a mitsu will post pics later.
anguswilly   +1y

Holy CRAP.

OK, so you have to understand that a narrowband sensor is only even remotely accurate very near stoichiometric (14.7 for gasoline) - hence the name "narrowband"

This presents a HUGE problem.

While stoich is 14.7 - the desired AFR under boost is in the range if 11 (mine is running 10.5 right now till I lean it out) nowhere near where the narrowband can read - the readings you get that show you that you are near 11 with a narrowband are just random readings that are less than meaningless)

If you are going to tune the truck, you'll need a WB - or read the plugs carefully and use some other old school tricks - the one saving grace is that you have only 5-ish PSI - at that boost, it'll take longer to grenade your motor.

Really might pay to read up on meth setups - for cheap, you can make the boost safe and add HP in one step.

I hope you don't think I am trying to scare you, just trying to help.
cory_watson   +1y
not scaring me at all. I can use all the advice that everyone is giving me. I have always planned on running a good wideband but I have to get it when I have the cash. I figured the gauge I have now would be better then nothing. I will read up on the meth systems do you have any good sites to recommend for it?
cory_watson   +1y
I believe I have my fuel problem sorted out, im going to use a intank fuel pump from a 90 model s10 and attach it to the factory sending unit along with a trick flow boost referenced fuel pressure regulator. the pump I have puts out 17psi at 35gph which should hold up fine with 8psi of boost. I am just waiting on the regulator to come in I already have the pump.

chaserjohndoe   +1y
the weber can only handle 3.5 psi max
cory_watson   +1y
but when your boosting 8psi you have to that the 3.5 psi for the carb, then you have to have the 8psi to over come the boost pressure or it just pushes the fuel out of the bowls. so all together you have to have 13.5psi. that's the problem Im having now. my stock mechanical fuel pump is pumping about 6psi and its getting over powered with the boost.
anguswilly   +1y
That may be a possible solution, although these are band-aids and blow through turbocharging has always been regarded as a sort of "black art"

Really hope you get it figured out - You really do still need a sideband or you are only guessing.

I am sending a PM - maybe we can help each other out!