Page 4 of 6
Old School Minis \  Livin the Low Life

Livin the Low Life

Old School Minis General Discussions
views 2734
replies 52
following 33

disfiguredS10   +1y
bags only fail when the bag itself comes in contact with something else or is overpressurized.

Or when they're the old airlift 2b6's and your washing your truck in the driveway @ 120 psi and one of them goes poof....that sucked
smithchassis   +1y
uhm... weve had the same cylinders since 98, and they dont leak... and constant movement? uhhh hydraulics get used more than an airbag ever will... they are called backhoes, i invite you to come to KY and show you how things work... Install it right and get a good cylinder... you wont have problems... now back to custom stuff and enough bickering
Toddgoesfast   +1y
the cylinder on a backhoe does not go in and out as much as the bags go up and down on a freightliner hauling ass up and down the highway at 60 mph 10 hours a day. the backhoe cylinder moves in and out what a few thousand times a day... bag on a freightliner, the same number every 20 minutes.

those bags go in and out abut 2 or 3 times a second on most roads. yes they are sleeve bags and thats why they last longer. Older 18 wheelers from say the early 70s had conventional bags and they only lasted about a half million miles.

Cylinders can last a long time, yes, but the design of the seal against the shaft is a source of constant wear. as seals have gotten better over the years they have gotten the life span to increase, but they will never last as long as bags by simple design.

so I doubt I will need to go to Kentucky for anything other than some moonshine. plus we have been building custom rides here since the late 70s, long before your daddy was chasing his cousin around the trailer.

I agree, get back to discussing the lame ass show
smithchassis   +1y
the day you school me on something is the day i die... i just said you can come to kentucky and ill prove things to you... but you come off with some arrogant smart allec remark about my dad chasin my cousin around a trailer? thats real mature. if you claim to be so awesome what have you done since the late 70's?
02ramon20s   +1y
she is hot is all i have to say
AON-OFFDAHOOK   +1y
I love it when people knock hydraulics when they know "nothing" about them. I notice that Aaron Iha's next truck is on hydraulics, you think he'd run them if they weren't going to function correctly? Bags were once the cool "in" thing when they first hit the scene 14 yrs ago and but now they're getting more played out and many minitruckers are beginning to go back to their roots with hydraulics.

Hydraulics aren't all about hopping, they can be very reliable, ride better than bags, get more lift (more drop on a car when it's bolt-in) and don't come with that lame psst psst circusy sound...
g9m2c   +1y
I like the show myself too, im very open minded and dont hate on other peoples rides. Everyone has there own taste and ideas, as long as the owner is happy with what they have accomplished. Your never going to have everyone like your ride no matter if you go with sport truck to lowrider. There's some cars on the show that i do like and had never been into lowriders. And vidas body is a great reason to watch the show too haha.
Toddgoesfast   +1y
Man I was just pullin your chain. If your momma is not your daddy's cousin then you are alright by me.

anyway Im certain I could school you on something. Im sure you could school me on some things too. Id bet anything I could school you on more, but thats only because Ive been doing this many years. Its not a factor of intelligence or learning, just time.

Usually Hydraulics are mounted incorrectly and I have rarely seen any vehicle where the cylinders were mounted in such a way that they were NOT in a bind sometime during their travel. Please post pics of some that are mounted correctly if you can find any. The guy in England that makes his own cylinders is the only one I know of. his name is Ray by the way.

Bags will never be "played out" and they are here to stay, like it or not.
bags have also been around longer than 14 years on minitrucks. I saw bags on a Dodge D-50 dually in 1982. They were RV sleeve bags and they were mounted where the truck layed out the frame when aired out. This was unheard of then.
AON-OFFDAHOOK   +1y
Does this look the cylinders are binding to you?Or this?Maybe because with accumulators, there is not travel with the cylinder and can't bind? If you have been around to see airbags on a minitruck in 1982, you really need to get a life...
disfiguredS10   +1y
Oatmeal is better than grits, and fuk anybody that says different.....seriously, they both work well and have pros & cons.(air & juice)