Page 5 of 6
Old School Minis \  Livin the Low Life

Livin the Low Life

Old School Minis General Discussions
views 2736
replies 52
following 33

juicedwagon   +1y
well its just the fact that Toddgoesfast is saying bullshit facts that is gettin everyone goin, i will choose to ignore him till he either posts up some of his work or puts a truck in his profile, as of right now he is just some guy that spouts off about anything to get some drama.

i still love the show, wish they had more shows, i have seen them all.
cl (chris)   +1y
It never fails to amaze me how many people on SSM bad mouth anything that they dont like. I am not a big fan of lowrider, donks, doinks, honda's and many other types of custom car/trucks but i will not bad mouth their rides or their scene. I have been a mini truckers since the mid 80's and i remember when my ride was bad mouthed by the hot rod folks. I did not like it then or now. Shut the hell up about thing you dont like or understand how about just a little respect for anybody who customizes their rides like them or not!!!! Anybody wonder why so many shows are going away?
As for the show yes its about Hydraulics and the whole lowrider scene its not about bags and body drops? You have to respect the money, sweat and time put into them even if you dont like the look.
toreadorxlt   +1y
Originally posted by Toddgoesfast

the cylinder on a backhoe does not go in and out as much as the bags go up and down on a freightliner hauling ass up and down the highway at 60 mph 10 hours a day. the backhoe cylinder moves in and out what a few thousand times a day... bag on a freightliner, the same number every 20 minutes.

those bags go in and out abut 2 or 3 times a second on most roads. yes they are sleeve bags and thats why they last longer. Older 18 wheelers from say the early 70s had conventional bags and they only lasted about a half million miles.

horrible argument. Hydraulics are used on many modern day manufacturing processes, some cases, they get cycled more times a day than an average mini truck will ever see on the road.

Toddgoesfast   +1y
yes those are in a bit of a bind. Look at any hydraulics on a tractor or any machine and you will see both ends of the cylinder are mounted in a bushing, heim or other movement device.

the ones on the trucks above have a flat area around the cylinder that touches a surface. as the suspension moves through its travel, it moves on an arc. the cylinder does not move on an arc and therefore binds somewhat. the edge of the flat area is where the pressure is when the cylinder moves.

most hydraulics on cars or trucks have this type setup. Ray in Englad does not do this. He knows to mount the cylinder on a pivot. This is usually a heim in his case. This allows the cylinder to move with the suspension and not against it.

I wont be posting anything I have built. Everything I have built has been cover, featured or otherwise. Also everything else I have built or worked on has either been a cover, feature or in show coverage. Then you would know who I am and I would be banned.

what Im saying is not theory, its fact. look at both ends of the cylinder where it mounts and explain to me how each end pivots... one end may if the cylinder is mounted correctly, and the other end does not usually.
Toddgoesfast   +1y
I also agree on the machine cylinders moving lots of cycles a day. these are specialty cylinders made for that specific type and repetition movement. these are not even close to the same type used on vehicles today.

so no not a horrible argument. almost ALL cylinders mounted on a car or truck today are not the type designed with high quality seals, wipers and slides that would work in this environment for a long period of time.

The cylinders of today are much better than the cheap ones used in the 70s 80s 90s and early 2000s but most people use cheap general purpose seals, wipers and slides when manufacturing cylinders.
Toddgoesfast   +1y
Im not trying to spur drama, just stating facts about cylinders, bags and the scene in general.
The Unit   +1y
I wanna do a drag by when there filming the show LOL!!!! And yell out while doing it " im living the low life" LOL
disfiguredS10   +1y
not that i really care, but if the axle is the only thing moving and it can pivot where it meets the axle.....why would it bind? unless the 4link bars are 6" long or something.

disfiguredS10   +1y
post #667....I feel better now
Toddgoesfast   +1y
because the other end is a round flat plate that holds the entire ass end of the truck up. The cylinder is using that plate as its upper mount. when the suspension moves away from the centerline of the cylinder mount, the whole ass end of the truck is pressing down (or up) on the EDGE of that plate causing uneven pressure on the cylinder shaft. this is a small amount of bind and side load. now maybe that cylinder is big enough and has a slide and seal that can handle side load and the shaft bending, but most likely not.

its not even that much bind, but it is some bind..

I apologize for the drama, but the most commmon way of mounting cylinders in trucks and cars in this scene is incorrect.