Turbo question

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 7084
replies 79
following 8

mymmeryloss   +1y
I would weld it if you have that option
b52fighter   +1y
I'll probably do the jb weld thing, and put some quick steel over it, until I can get it welded, or get it done and be able to drive it so I can take it out to him
anguswilly   +1y
Welding can actually be worse if not done right -

The process of punching and tapping works so well because you are rolling an edge on it when you punch it, so you have a nice place to tap threads. I have never once had an issue doing this and I build turbo cars for a living.

sincitylocal   +1y
Or just drill a hole and use a bulkhead fitting. No welding! no tapping! No pissing contest!
Made from all different materials and lots of styles to choose. Many come with o-rings.(bottom pic)
Hand tools for the install.

thread post photo

thread post photo
mymmeryloss   +1y

Thats what i mentioned. I call them compression fittings...
sincitylocal   +1y
When you mentioned "compression fitting," I couldn't understand how they would apply.
This is a compression fitting.
thread post photo
mymmeryloss   +1y

Yeah i realize that lol. Just kinda one if those things that i call the wrong thing but know what im talking about and can explain to somebody that can in turn go oh you mean a bulkhead fitting? Lol.
sincitylocal   +1y
No harm. No foul.
anguswilly   +1y

That is a bulkhead fitting, it can work BUT has issues (I've used them - and don't anymore)

1) it requires removal of the pan (the punch and tap does not)

2) the bulkhead fittings can come loose and then you have to remove the pan to tighten it (they also have leaked on me even when tight)

I say, if commercially available kits use the punch and tap method (and 100's of people do DIY installs without issue) then go for that.
b52fighter   +1y
Don't really want to pull the pan, even with a weld on bung, I can see putting holes in the pan from possibly to high of a great range, but my dad was a diesel mechanic for about 25 years stretched frames a lot, and worked as a welder for quite awhile after, he's a damn good welder if I do say so myself, I'll probably do jb weld and some quick steel for extra insurance, then down the road if I do rebuild or if it starts to leak pretty bad I'll do the weld on, was looking today and it would be pretty tough to get a punch and a hammer at the oil pan and get a good enough swing to punch through, thanks for the ideas, really appreciate it!