Page 5 of 8
Mazda Engine Performance \  Turbo question

Turbo question

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 7082
replies 79
following 8

b52fighter   +1y
Ok, decided were gonna flip my exhaust manifold so that the turbo sits on top, and were going to use the factory location for the oil drain, doing this to make it easier to install the air filter, run intercooler piping easier, and make it easy on the exhaust shop I have do my exhaust. Just a bit easier all around. And as far as oil feed goes I'm just using the port for the oil pressure sending unit and oil pressure gauge
anguswilly   +1y
What manifold do you have - I did my turbo top mount as well.

If you are smart, you will seriously brace that turbo no matter what.

I mean make serious braces that will allow NO forces to be applied to the manifold.
b52fighter   +1y
I beleive its the 626 manifold. I'm not modifying it myself I'm having the shop that does my exhaust do it. I don't have the right tools to do it, and I don't want to mess it up. So I left it to the professionals
anguswilly   +1y
post pics, very interested to see it.
b52fighter   +1y
These are about the best "before" pictures I have. Instead of the turbo being beside the block underneath its gonna be up top and slightly angled towards the drivers headlight, I'll take some pictures when I get it back, dropped it off last Wednesday, might go over tomorrow afternoon and see how there coming on it. For all I know they lost my number and just been waiting for me to drop by and pick it up ha.
post photo
post photo
anguswilly   +1y
Yes that is the exact manifold I started with - I have the same setup you are describing (top mount)

You DO need to have a competent shop TIG re-weld every weld on that manifold over again or it'll crack in short order - happened to me.

And you need to FULLY support the turbo or it'll crack the manifold - mine still cracked even with VERY strong brackets - would not have lasted a week without them.
b52fighter   +1y
Well what I ended up doing is taking it to a machine shop, not gonna cut anything off of it, there actually gonna make an adapter plate to flip it on the flange side that bolts to the head, then the manifold, and a plate to turn the turbo mount out, my exhaust shop was gonna try it, then started looking at it and found the flange was mild steel, and the tubes were stainless, and needed to be tig welded with a stainless rod, and they didn't have that.I'll post pics one I get it back
anguswilly   +1y
Wow, you are certainly going about it the difficult and expensive way.

To each their own I suppose.
b52fighter   +1y
Rather it be done right, they quoted me about 150 bucks, so about 2 hours worth of work or so. Basically just making a new flange to bolt up to what I have with holes for mounting on the head, and a plate to mount to to the turbo that just turns it out, actually pretty simple
anguswilly   +1y
OK, One issue with that method is it adds joints, with bolts that will come loose or leak. This is a real issue and I have seen it many times.

The next issue is it will look crappy. and cost you just as much or almost as much as doing it properly.

I cut, flipped and welded my manifold, I also re-welded all the joints (backpurged them) because the first one of these manifolds I bought cracked after 3 hours - so I bought a new one and started again - it's now been good since December.

There is nothing wrong with the materials of these manifolds but the welding sucks, mild steel flanges are just fine.

If you do not have anyone local who can weld properly, I would consider doing it for you - if I weld it, the welds will look better and be stronger than what you see on the manifold right now - I've been welding SS for 20+ years.