Page 1 of 8
Mazda Engine Performance \  Turbo question

Turbo question

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 7075
replies 79
following 8

b52fighter   +1y
Was wondering when plumbing a turbo got the return line if there is a better solution than drilling into the oil pan and j/b welding a fitting in, I don't have a welder either, just a drill and a tool box full of wrenches and whatnot, there's a grinder and a sawzall, but that's beside the point, any ideas?
Thanks!
vajr86   +1y
I know nothing about turbos or anything like that but am a marine welder by trade. Jb weld sucks. You spent all this time installing and spending money take the pan off drill it where you want it and the right size hole so it just fits in then grind the area around the hole inside and out and take it to a shop or go on craigslist and find someone who will weld it.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Good advice, in my experience jb weld is a temp solution not a permanent fix for much anything beyond a toy car lol
mymmeryloss   +1y
Jb weld is not a good idea. I would use a compression fitting or have it welded. Since the drain is gravity feed its not a huge deal, but it will leak if u use jb weld
vajr86   +1y
Do you live close to vancouver bc. I'll weld it for you for free.
mymmeryloss   +1y

Same here if youre close to Colorado
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
How far is vancouver bc from maine lol
vajr86   +1y
I offered to weld it for free. Not figure how far you are from there. Lol. That'll cost ya
anguswilly   +1y
OK, there is a way to do the oil pan drain fitting properly without welding, it is the process used by many aftermarket kit makers, you punch the pan with a tapered punch and then tap threads on it.

I have used the procedure for many many years and it is good.

Look up the instructions for a Vortech supercharger for 5.0 mustang you will see.
b52fighter   +1y
Well, I live in north Dakota, haha, I could have my dad weld it no problem, the tapered punch idea sounds like a good idea to me, I'm a machinist and tapping things is pretty easy haha. Still working on getting everything together, been waiting on parts and the sudden 11" of snow we got at the beginning of the week put everything on hold, need to adjust my waste gate yet to clear the block, and finish running intercooler piping and gauges and that should be about it other than tuning