Page 5 of 6
Mazda Engine Performance \  emissions removal

emissions removal

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 24625
replies 51
following 31

dmills313   +1y
removing the canister wont stink the cab up with a weber? also i am more inclined for the mileage, i dont expect this engine to do much in the way of power. if i want to haul ass i have my miata! =D
dmills313   +1y
removed the ecm and harness today. much cleaner look, also the previous owner who seems to have driven the truck through an oil slick, or ran it without a valve cover...seems to have spliced something into the harness as well, was just a wire leading to nothing routed next to the battery. that was bad enough, however the worst part is that oil had worked its way down the harness and somehow was making its way to the ecm..... lots of wtf moments today messing with it.
mazdafreak   +1y
This is a very good write up. I have got the 2 1/2 holes cut out now drillin the others. so far so good. Thanks for all the info.
ndross475   +1y
I have been doing my research, just bought a 89 B2200, manual w/ a/c. The carb is running rich and from what I am reading the best thing to do is make the Weber swap and ditch the emissions. I get that part, curious as to whats involved on the exhaust side of the motor, not really interested in adding headers but will. I am in NC where we are "supposed" to keep the cats, not looking for volume, like the quiet stock sound, but a little power and better mpg is enticing, I am willing to listen to all those with experience...Thanks in advance
Cusser   +1y
When I changed to Weber 32/36DGEV in late 2005 on mine (1988 B2200 5-speed), I did nothing to the catalytic converts or exhaust.
ndross475   +1y
Cusser, thanks, I had seen that article, thanks for taking the time to document so well. I have a Haynes manual in the mail and have been nosing around the internet for a shop manual, truthfully not very hard, so I haven't dug into it yet, just planning. I am still not clear where the tubes from the air cleaner terminate into the exhaust and what to do down there once removed. From what i have read it appears to be a way to re-burn exhaust which lead me to believe there would need to be plugs of some sort, just haven't seen the diagram or picture of what happens at that end.

The motor needs work, no questions, burning oil, 214k. I bought it for a quick trips to Home Depot and the dump while I am remodeling an old house, yes I have started two projects. My plan was to keep putting oil in the b2200 until spring and find all the issues and maybe yank the motor then. Swapping the Webber now doesn't seem like too big a deal and I like how it removes the need for all that vacuum crap. The truck has a/c ... or should I say a working compressor with a leak in the system... when it kicks on the idle drops way low, seems like a vacuum / carb problem which I don't even want to try and figure out with this mess. So for $250 bucks, changing the carb and trashing all the useless vacuum and emissions, and not having to worry about the edu seems like a way of eliminating a lot of problems.

When I get into it in the spring the plan is to fix the motor, add PS and of course fix the a/c. Not a cost-effective project , but a labor of love, who doesn't like tinkering on their own truck.
axel breaker earl   +1y
The three tubes can be eliminated completely. One comes off of the exhaust manifold, and that can be left there and sawed off and the opened end hammered flat and then rolled over to get a tight, leak-free seal there.....or it can be removed and closed-end lug nuts can be screwed onto the threaded portion sticking out of the exhaust manifold.

The other two tubes run down to the lower cast iron exhaust pipe that is directly below the pre-cat converter. Most unbolt those, then make a block-off plate to go over the 2 holes in the cast iron pipe......you can re-use the metal exhaust gasket there if it is still in good shape, otherwise, get a new gasket to ensure a leak-free seal. You can also just cut the two tubes off a couple of inches above the flange down there and flatten & roll the end on those tubes as well.

I'll see what pics I have in my libraries......

Oh, welcome to the forum also!
axel breaker earl   +1y
Here is a truck that I just cut the tubes and flattened them....

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
ndross475   +1y
Thanks, I have been searching emissions, and didn't see anything then I searched exhaust and someone on the forum did a good write up on removing the tubes, made a plate for the Cat and used 4 honda oil drain plugs for the manifold. Auto Zone still has them Needa 652946. I think thats the route I am going to go.

BSCENE link:
ndross475   +1y
I am adding a Weber and removing as much of the excess from the passenger side as possible, I understand that with the Weber I no longer need the Charcoal Canister, question is where do you route the fuel vapor line returning from the fuel tank??