threads
Page 5 of 8
Old School Minis \  need some old school stereo-system help...

need some old school stereo-system help...

Old School Minis General Discussions
views 4676
replies 77
following 56

baggedmitsu   +1y
i had thump subs, lol. back in 1993. then after i blew those i got Lanzars, which sounded clean but didtn hit for shit. so i got JL W-7s after that.

Right now i have some MTX subs circa 94-95 i have three pull out decks, and a few amps. Im going to try and piece something together this week. I havent had the stereos tested yet but im hoping one works. who knew so many people still had them laying around. as soon as i mentioned it at a club meeting a few guys said they had some in the garage. lol

After trying for a few months now to get some PPI Art Series amps ive pretty much giving up. they are definately out of my price range. I remember i bought a whole set up in 96 for 250 bucks. used but they were gorgeous and looked brand new. wish i still had them.
dssur   +1y
Originally posted by crux131

Cassette w/changer sounds about right. Even better if you could get an older pull out with the handle and carrying case.

Look for old school Alpines with the green pre set buttons on the right hand side, and a volume nob on the left. That would be Pimp.

Look for older speakers like Kickers with the gold letter logo's. Maybe some Lanzars with the red surrounds and the coated paper cones. Something like this:http://www.credencespeakers.com/images/Lanzar-front-for-web.jpg .A single 10" with amps mounted in the enclosure on the oposite side??

Either old school amps, or newer models with an old school no nonsense look to them. I know you can still find Rockford Fosgate 25 to life series amps, and they are styled like the original Punch amps.

I think a simple understated look would be old school, and maybe not as in your face as a neon loaded plexi sub box. Maybe wrap the box in vinyl to match the interior, and mount all of your speakers in matching door pods or kicks with matching vinyl.

I have what you need:

alpine 7903 pullout CD player in MINT condition, cd wont read but that isnt very expensive to repair

rockford fosgate punch 75, also mint, with period rockford labeld coils and caps to run mixed mono

2 rockford "the punch" 10" subs in mint shape except the surrounds have dried out and rotted away. new surrounds are available on ebay for about 10 bucks each.

This all came out of a vintage show car, hardly used. I bought it all at a swap meet, everything works except the cd.

durangedkustoms   +1y
i know i have an old school alpine eq that is detachable face model 3339.
lucky_brew   +1y
russ- pm sent
karathos   +1y
I cant belive noone said MTX blue thunder. Those subs were like gold in the 80's. Alone with Hiphonics amps. That was like the "mega baller" setup back in the day
corey0814   +1y
ORION XTR's BABY!!!!! don't forget the old red hcca amps!

N sane   +1y
If you could find some volcano subs that would be cool I have a ppi art series amp in my truck now I got it from some crack for 15 bucks or some mtx terminators also be cool I have not seen the blues in years as far as deck a 2 nob pioneer super tuner and cd changer !
corey0814   +1y
Edited: 7/10/2008 12:03:09 PM by corey0814

corey0814   +1y
or the old cerwin vega strokers

pearldrop   +1y
You can't beat the gold-letter Kickers for old school. My first system was made up of Orion HCCAs and XTRs. But I always wanted a system built with Linear Power amps.

I just bought a new amp last week for $50 that works fine. A Soundstream Reference 705.