threads
Page 1 of 8
Old School Minis \  need some old school stereo-system help...

need some old school stereo-system help...

Old School Minis General Discussions
views 4643
replies 77
following 56

lucky_brew   +1y
Edited: 7/9/2008 8:43:15 PM by lucky_brew

what are some idead for a "retro" style system?

im thinking pullout deck in console, cd changer in glove box and definately a plexiglass/neon speaker box...

any ideas? im not a system guy - then or now so im stereo stupid!

oh, i cant do a cut through (i got my reasons....)
crux131   +1y
Cassette w/changer sounds about right. Even better if you could get an older pull out with the handle and carrying case.

Look for old school Alpines with the green pre set buttons on the right hand side, and a volume nob on the left. That would be Pimp.

Look for older speakers like Kickers with the gold letter logo's. Maybe some Lanzars with the red surrounds and the coated paper cones. Something like this:
http://www.credencespeakers.com/images/Lanzar-front-for-web.jpg .
A single 10" with amps mounted in the enclosure on the oposite side??

Either old school amps, or newer models with an old school no nonsense look to them. I know you can still find Rockford Fosgate 25 to life series amps, and they are styled like the original Punch amps.

I think a simple understated look would be old school, and maybe not as in your face as a neon loaded plexi sub box. Maybe wrap the box in vinyl to match the interior, and mount all of your speakers in matching door pods or kicks with matching vinyl.
lucky_brew   +1y
Edited: 7/9/2008 8:39:28 PM by lucky_brew

sounds right! starting to refresh my memory with this shit!

only reason im thinking plexiglass and neon is that ALL minis here on the east coast pimped that back in the day! its only a plexi front. you could see inside the box and it was all splatter painted!
crux131   +1y
Edited: 7/9/2008 8:42:43 PM by crux131

That would be cool, maybe a combination. I remember they all used to use Crunch, savard, Kicker, Earthquake, Lanzar, or Kenwood subs for the most part. JL Audio was around, but did not really break outside of Florida until the late 80's early 90's I think.

A plexi windlow flushed into a vinyl covered face with the splatter or better yet fleck stone( granite look ) paint on the inside. Would probably still be a clean look with a throw back at the same time?

The lanzars I linked are only 15.00 a peice at that site, but sound decent. They are just made from old stock parts the company is trying to clear out. People won't hear you from a mile away, but they will add some bottom end to your music.
zadaddy   +1y
definately pullout deck with cd changer in glovebox...

amps...ppi art series

subs...either old school white letter rockfords, or old gold letter kickers..(PIMP)

lucky_brew   +1y
thanks andy! just ordered the subs!

Code Product Quantity Price/Ea. Total
OA10-4 Brand name 10" 4 ohm surplus woofers 2 $15.00 $30.00
Shipping: UPS Ground: $14.57
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total: $44.57

brad0069   +1y
the koolest thing about yotas-I think this is for your yota-is if you have wing windows you can easily put an 8 or 10 in your door with no buildout that way you dont have to put a box behind the seats. I first did this in '86 so its old skool. mount your amps in a plexi faced box behind the seat and enjoy the leg room! My yota back then had 5.25 at the top of the door with an 8 at the bottom of the door. hell, everyone in my club now who has yotas has an 8 or 10 in the door with 5.25s in the kick panels.....nothing is more old skool than wing windows!
Uncle Fester   +1y
Old Rockford Fosgate Punch series Will have to get some pics I was going to go old in my truck and decided to go new.
lucky_brew   +1y
got any leftovers fester?