Page 4 of 6
Toyota Trucks \  Zing frame

Zing frame

Toyota Trucks Make Specific
views 4304
replies 51
following 27

dguzzardo22   +1y
well after reading this post . i just want to double check and make sure im correct . i dont need to take out the motor and i dont need to put in motor mounts . also i only need to put in a 1" z to lay the front. the stering will need to be notched with that 1" z or is that for anything bigger . all in all all i need to do is move all the lines and wires out the way. mark where i need to cut . cut , lower 1" and weld back up replace all lines i moved even those inside my frame?

can i do a 1" z with out any lower motor mounts. is 1" all i need to lay out. i just want to clearify all my questions before i went to cutting
granth   +1y
steering column compressed for me. didnt have to do anything with it. and its a 1 inch Z if you trim down the crossmember a little. the motor mounts aren't NEEDED, just cut your stocks off and lower them an inch. if u have an air chisel and sawzall its probably an hours worth of work.
dguzzardo22   +1y
so you do have to move the engine mounts and notch out the steering. does anyone have any more pics other than the ones posted
time1   +1y
I lowered my motor mounts an inch so the motor wouldnt stick thru the hood. I cut a notch above the steering shaft in the firewall so it could come up more, it would "collapse".
granth   +1y
you dont HAVE to, if ur not bodydropped, but you may as well. and i WOULD take the engine out. getting a gun in there is a pain even with just the tranny hangin in there.
dguzzardo22   +1y
im not bodydropped im just tryin to layout. so i dont have to lower the engine or notch the steering ?? . i can just do the 1" z and see how it lays and i won't have any trouble??
TwistedMinis   +1y
Every trucks different. Do it and find out.

If you have a carb I would drop the motor back down, because they run different at different levels. Also if you have an automatic because of the way the oil moves in the transmission. If not, its not that big of a deal.
granth   +1y
Originally posted by dguzzardo22

im not bodydropped im just tryin to layout. so i dont have to lower the engine or notch the steering ?? . i can just do the 1" z and see how it lays and i won't have any trouble??

like seth said, cut the clip and let it drop. i know when lucky Z'd his it went 1.5 and layed flat. but thats a 79-83 frame with a 84-88 clip. so its more than likely different. the only real way to do EXACTLY the amount u need is to removed the front sheetmetal and motor, and if possible, the brake setup and bag. trust me, it sounds like a pain...but it's SO much easier to do it that way. pullin the motor is an afternoons work if you can take pics and label bags. its basic.

do like said earlier and use 4 scissor jacks or some sort of "low profile" collapsed jack and jack the frame up off the ground, level it out side to side and front to back. scribe your cut lines, i'd say do 1.25 to be safe, but I did 1 inch (i drug my xmember down to the bolts (not the arm bolts)) so i measured and inch and put a pair of scribe lines showing a 1 inch section. then i lowered the jacks and matched the "top line" on the frame side, to the "bottom line" on the clip side. That shows an exact 1 inch drop. weld up the seam, and cap any holes with cut down 2x3 then plate the whole thing on BOTH sides.
dguzzardo22   +1y
ok thanks for the input . im just gonna do it and whatever happens happens deal . i looked under my hood and it looks like i could get a lil more than a inch till somethin hits. ima do a 1.25 like you said to be safe and ima see where that puts me . i will plate both sides when im done to be safe imatry to get pics but i have to find a good camera first other than my cell .if someone can post more pics (other than the ones posted) id really appreciate that also.. ima do a litle more research first tho. also my truck is a 93 standard ,no carb
toffeechips   +1y
Originally posted by toffeechips

well without a Z i have a 4" B/D and a Cowl hood. The hood hits the air intake as is. I was going to lower the motor 1.5". But if i Lower the motor 1.5" and do a 1.5" Z then i am right back where i started. but i will be layin flat.

Sorry for the repost but i think my question got overlooked.