Page 1 of 1
Toyota Trucks \  99 Tacoma 2.4L 5spd

99 Tacoma 2.4L 5spd

Toyota Trucks Make Specific
views 1532
replies 2
following 2

jkesler89   +1y
I have a customer that would like to bag his Taco. I've done a lot of research but still have a few things I need cleared up. 1st everything I've read says the front needs to be Z'd to lay flat. I did read where Bobby Martin with Sadistic says he's never had to Z a yota or taco. My question is, what needs to be done to keep from doing a Z??!! 2nd up to what size wheel can you run without relocating the clutch resivor?? 3rd what needs to be done to the upper control arms or will the stock ones work without any modifications?? 4th on the rear suspension, by keeping the stock fuel tank in its stock location is a reverse link setup the best way to go?? Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.
maz duh   +1y
A frame Z on a Tacoma will keep you from dragging your way through your steering rack mounts if my memory serves me correctly. Older toys need it because the front crossmember hangs below the rails by about 1 1/2". Bobby"s way will work but requires extra effort to keep the steering geometry correct. The traditional Z is deff the easiest route imo.

17's should clear the clutch master if you are laying frame. Relocation isn't too difficult if you want to go larger on the wheels.

If your on 17's so you didn't have to mess with the clutch master the stock upper arms should work fine.

Reverse link setups are not the way to go if you are looking to keep a stock fuel tank. There are better options available like a wishbone 3 link or a 3 link that uses a panhard bar or watts link for lateral control. Forward facing suspension links are your friends no matter what configuration you choose.

Hope this helps you with some of the decision making for your project.
jkesler89   +1y
Thanks for the reply. I know that reverse links aren't the way to go. I don't believe in reverse links at all. Just from looking at all the pics with tacos running the stock tank they have reverse link setups. I've seen a few 3 links. I'm more of a Ranger guy and S10 guy. Never built a taco but I want to. I have a lot of fabrication skills and experience. I do heavy equipment fabrication and welding for a living and I build trucks on the side. Raising the rack doesn't scare me. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about bagging this taco for a customer. I have all the tools I need so that's not an issue. I just want to know everything that needs to be done before I give him a quote. Here is my build. It's an 89 ranger.
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
Page 1 of 1