Page 4 of 10
Mazda Wheels Tires \  5 lug conversion questions

5 lug conversion questions

Mazda Wheels Tires Mazda Tech
views 20892
replies 90
following 30

dubd dawg   +1y
well ya if you did a motor swap but with the stock motor your fine.
hunterw   +1y

well i needed a shorter read end so might as well go with a yota axle and ill be getting some c arms built for the yota spindle so i might as well lol. but i did consider redrilling them
bagdb2200   +1y
I know lots of ppl have done it with no problems, but I don't like when you redrill the hubs you lose one of the bolts that holds the brake rotor on.
idminitrucker (jason)   +1y

those dont really matter. the lug nuts and wheels hold them on. the little phillps head screws just hold it on when you pull the wheel off as a convenice thing. a lot of cars dont even have them or just have a star type washer over the studs.
bagdb2200   +1y
No, the Mazda brake rotor bolts on from the back with 6 bolts. The wheel doesn't even touch it.
thread post photo

See the 6 holes between the studs? That's the threaded holes for the brake rotor bolts coming in from the back. When you redrill them to a 5 lug, one of the holes for the 5 lug pattern interferes with one of them...no matter how you rotate it.
thebeaumartin   +1y
thats dope
my bad i was thinking of the back more so. I have toy suspension and spaced the rotors bolting on like that. I have never seen a redrilled hub up front so I wasnt on the same page as you.
mazdawg(mikey)   +1y
Yeah he's right, I lost one of those bolts when I got mine drilled. There's no way around it. Everything still seems to operate fine soo far. Beed done over a year with no troubles.
bagdb2200   +1y

Yea, I don't know of anyone who has had a problem with it. I just wanted to put it out there for the people who are OCD on details or paranoid about their ride or something. Plus, on my truck I don't think it would be the best to have only 5 bolts with the bigger Wilwood setup. Even though 5 is still probably overkill lol.

And my bad Jason, I thought you were talking about the fronts because most ppl were talking about just doing axle swaps for the rears instead of redrilling.
[quote="BagdB2200
And my bad Jason, I thought you were talking about the fronts because most ppl were talking about just doing axle swaps for the rears instead of redrilling.[/quote]

well i was kinda talking about both. but it has been a while since i messed with a mazda front end and i work at a body shop and most of the newer cars the rotors go on from the front over the studs and hub. and just didnt think it all the way through when i read that. but its all good if nothing else maybe ill remember that the older suspensions the rotors go on from the back. (as a side note the toy suspension is the same.)