Page 8 of 8
Mazda Engine Performance \  Turbo question

Turbo question

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 7080
replies 79
following 8

b52fighter   +1y
Ok, I'll keep that in mind, fired it up today and I have 60 psi of oil pressure under theottle and 50 at idle. I have a small oil leak on the oil feed for the turbo, not to big of a deal. Easy fix. Changed oil before hand, otherwise so far so good
anguswilly   +1y
You may need an oil restrictor for the turbo - you might not.

Also the oil pressure will drop when your engine fully warms up.
b52fighter   +1y
The leak is just at the threads, gonna get some thread tape and tape it off, and go from there
anguswilly   +1y

NUMBER ONE RULE - NEVER EVER EVER use teflon sealing tape on a turbo feed line.

Never use it at all on ANY fitting on a turbo motor.

I have seen it clog the inlet of turbos and kill them. Use teflon paste (pipe dope) instead.

Also, what type of fitting is it, pipe thread or straight threads with crush washers?
b52fighter   +1y
Straight thread with a crush washer
low_life77   +1y

Hahaha I just read this and AngusWilly is absolutely right about that I've experienced that first hand. My very first turbo application on my B16 with the outrageously priced Turbonectics kit (given that was 8 years ago prices have since then changed) but never the less a pricey well built turbo like that only needed a few wraps of Teflon tape on the oil feed line to be sucked into the inlet at 15psi in 3rd gear I loss complete power of the turbo thought maybe a coupler/pipe blew loose but nope fried the turbo. I learned the hard way.
anguswilly   +1y

Then that DEFINITELY would never use teflon tape no matter what you are using it on. Tape is for tapered threads like NPT.

You probably need a higher quality crush washer and/or I have seen housings that are not properly machined for the crush washer to seat on.
b52fighter   +1y

Got the leak fixed last week before I got my exhaust done, and just got my fuel pump and my regulator this week, what's a good place to hook up the power to my pump under the hood? The pump is an msd inline, and got an aeromotive 3-20psi rising rate regulator
anguswilly   +1y

What you want is to have it run in tandem with your stock pump (assuming you're EFI)

You can wire a relay to the battery, then trigger it off the Fuel pump relay in the driver's kick panel.
b52fighter   +1y
Got it figured out, I mounted it on the passenger fender well, and used an existing bolt that mounts the brake lines on the firewall thatruns to the distribution block almost directly behind the carb