Page 3 of 4
Mazda Engine Performance \  probe GT turbo manifold

probe GT turbo manifold

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 3392
replies 34
following 4

cory_watson   +1y
the stock gt turbo is called a ihi vj11. it must have a one of a kind flange. from the research ive been doing I cant find any aftermarket turbo that will interchange without a adapter
anguswilly   +1y
Yes, the VJ11 shares it's turbine inlet flange with only a small handful of other OEM turbos - which are also useless.

An adapter is not too hard to make up though.

Other IHI turbos are also similarly built, in that they all use oddball flanges - the same family of turbo appears on many subareas, but share nothing externally.
cory_watson   +1y
im going to give it a try. I bought a factory manifold and turbo. just saving some more money to buy a intercooler kit and a weber. ill post a build thread once I get all my parts together
anguswilly   +1y
I think for the cost of that you will be so much better off to install injection, it is really not difficult, you can get he whole setup with wiring and it'll plug into the harness in your truck behind the glove box.

You can also use the MX-6 harness with a small mod (you have to switch some wires around in the connector to match the truck but the plug is the same)

You will have much more power and it'll run nicer too.
cory_watson   +1y
I have never done a Fuel injection swap, I would defiantly consider it if I could find some good info on it. and a good deal on the parts I would need
anguswilly   +1y
You can take the stuff from the car you got the turbo from.

This way it'll fuel the turbo properly. It is really easy to add the injection since the connector inside the truck at the firewall is the same so it'll plug right in - you simply need to move a few pins around, you can go to the dealer and photocopy the pages from the manual that you need.

You will bolt the complete intake manifold on with all the sensors, change the distributor, remove the fuel pump and block it off, install an inline fuel pump (or install a tank from an EFI truck) MAybe a few other small things.

Now - if you install injection from a TRUCK - it's really easy, plug and play except you need to run fuel pump wires to tank.

- Swap fuel tank

- Swap intake manifold complete with throttle cable and intake pipe w/ airflow sensor

- Swap wiring harness passenger side - plugs straight in

- Swap distributor

- Remove mech. fuel pump and block off
cory_watson   +1y
I bought the turbo and manifold offline used. I don't have any junk yards local to me with any mazda cars or trucks. in my situation I believe It would be easier for me to stay carbed because the lack of local parts.
anguswilly   +1y
You could be right as long as you can tune it properly - almost all turbo attempts that fail are related to poor tuning.

Get a wideband AFR gauge.
cory_watson   +1y
ive already bought a wideband, boost gauge, turbo, manifold, and a few special intercooler couplers. im just waiting on a weber and intercooler kit now. I am very confident I can tune the carb properly.
cory_watson   +1y

found a decent build thread