threads
Page 7 of 11
Mazda Engine Swaps \  Tuckn's official Miata swap thread.

Tuckn's official Miata swap thread.

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 25437
replies 107
following 22

tucknrimmaz   +1y
Motor in place and ready to remove hoist. I set the oilpan right on the crossmember and held it centered while I got the motor mounts tacked.
thread post photo

Cant fit a finger between the coils and firewall.
thread post photo
tucknrimmaz   +1y
Plugs, wires, radiator and header mocked up.
thread post photo
tucknrimmaz   +1y
Lower Miata hose fits nicely.
thread post photo

You need to use another lower hose for the upper to wrap around the intake.
thread post photo
tucknrimmaz   +1y
thread post photo

Intake. I was going to just stick a pod filter onto the MAF but that would put it right above the header. This was what I decided on. I would like to get a Weapon R full intake but its 200 bucks and everyone on the miata forums says the stock intake tube makes the most power.
tucknrimmaz   +1y
thread post photo

This is how much I needed to chop the header to get it to mate it to the exhaust I had on my truck. The stock length put the flange flush with the front of the torsion bar crossmember. I used a flex pipe to connect the two.

thread post photo

Electric fan fits the truck rad pretty good.
tucknrimmaz   +1y
Wiring going in.
thread post photo

Passenger fender.
thread post photo
tucknrimmaz   +1y
Tidbits you MUST KNOW!!
This miata has two clutch pedal switches. The one at the back is for starting the engine only. My 86 didn't have one so I just tied the 2 wires together with a butt connector. The newer trucks (88+?) have these and should either clip right in or be swapped out.

The one that threads onto the top of the pedal assembly is for the computer. IT HAS TO BE THERE AND ADJUSTED! The ECU needs to see this sensor for proper idle/ drivability. It clicks inside when triggered, it needs to be setup so it clicks right when the pedal is up the whole way.

When using the the whole miata trans you need to cut the rock deflector off the truck driveshaft for it to slide in.

I tried to use the truck clutch slave with the miata rod. I couldnt get it to bleed all the air out. I had to put the miata slave on.
mymmeryloss   +1y
Damn. Thats legit!
mazdizzle   +1y
Great job!!
tucknrimmaz   +1y
I finally got the p0300 code figured out. My crank sensor needs replaced. I plan on taking the wife for a ride soon and letting her record it for youtube. I wish I had made a vid of the kia swap while driving too. The kia swap is like a more powerful truck while the miata swap turns the truck into a rev happy little go cart. I plan on putting some adjustable coil springs front and back on this one, after a 4 link and bigger notch.