Page 1 of 5
Mazda Engine Swaps \  Ford 302 in a 87 mazda B2200

Ford 302 in a 87 mazda B2200

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 39617
replies 48
following 24

badazz87b   +1y
hey i have a 87 Mazda B2200 that im wanting to swap in a 302 bored out to 306, it is no fuel injected so that makes it easier.and im gonna run a t-5 5spd tranny,Ive read that you can use mustang motor mounts,tranny mounts, and its basically bolt right in. is this true? can someone please give me tips and how to drop this bad boy into the truck,cause the mount arent gonna be a problem for me to get, i just dont want to buy them and end up i gotta fab up custom mounts.i know im gonna need a 12v switched for the coil, run/ extend my fuel lines,convert the mazda clutch slave to a cable clutch,and a custom drive shaft, and run my starter wires or extend my mazda ones.do i gotta move or make a custom tranny crossmember? or will the tranny bolt to the factory crossmember with a mustang tranny mount? but i think one i get the motor and tranny sat in, it'll be cake work. let me know.my email is if someone could email me pictures of there 302 swap.
90-b22dawg [andrew]   +1y
a motor swap isn't going to bolt "right in", you will have to fab some motor mounts and trans member will need reworking.
badazz87b   +1y
so u cant use stock mounts?
90-b22dawg [andrew]   +1y

a motor swap isn't going to bolt "right in", you will HAVE TO FAB SOME MOTOR MOUNTS and trans member will need reworking.

also the stock motor mount is designed to hold a 4 cylinder motor
all22s   +1y
yeah with a swap such as one you are contemplating there are a few things that will need to get fabbed up. swapping from a 4 banger to a v8 isn't going to be as easy as you think. there is alot of stuff that you will have to remove from the mazda due to it not being needed anymore. also there are things you will need to add for the v8. i would recommend you speak to someone who has more knowledge with 302 swap that is local so they might be able to help you if you get in a bind and need a question answered quickly. i'm currently putting a v8 into my 90 b2200, but i'm building a custom frame and running a completely new wiring harness. its alot different than what you are attempting. but go for it... it can be done as i have see quite a few with a 302 swap.....

jeremy
baggedb22   +1y
I have a 351w in mine, good luck its really not a hard swap at all but u will need to build motor mounts, and a tranny crossmember if u wanna do it the right way, like stated above the stock mounts on the frame are built for a 4cyl, people have used them but i built full mounts for the motor & tranny, wiring is simple if u go with ford duraspark ignition, you will have to smack the tranny tunnel up in alittle, unless u build a full tunnel. The only concern i would have, would be the rear, mine went within 1000 miles of the swap, lol...
jmzcustomz (jeff)   +1y
OK..I am going to have to do some research because I believe in an OLD MT atricle they used a company out of Canada (they went out of business and were just mentioned in the 350 swap write up that was posted the other day) and they used mustang motor mounts, radiator hoses, and a few other pieces. It did require a new trans member and a Ford motor sports shorty water pump. They also used a C4 auto and had to massage the driver side tranny tunnel to clear the linkage. I will see what I can find. It was an old issue and they did it to a White excab. I think a red single cab was on the cover....Let me see. All else fails listen to Baggedb22 and a few others on here that have actually done it. I am sure they would be more than happy to assist as much as possible.
jmzcustomz (jeff)   +1y
Here you go bro....
v8mazda4ever   +1y
Okay you can use the frame mount and if you have the mounts from the musang 5.0 L you can use those just swap sides and drill new holes or weld them in to place. For the tranny mount yes you are going to have to build a cross member for your tranny. I can help you with most of what you need. If you want pm me your number and we can talk.
here is a pick of the tranny cross memeber mounted to the frame in existing holes that are already treaded and ready to be bolted to the only difference between this mount and the one for the ford motor is there is 2 holes for the tranny instead of one.
thread post photo
paparoach1983   +1y
I have a 302 in my truck. They are all correct you will need motor and tranny mount. but if you take the radiator and build a new rad support up front you can french the rad into it. its what i am doing with mine then you can run the stock front of the engine. till you can get a elec fan. that cuts alot of room up front for dress up LOL