Page 2 of 5
Mazda Engine Swaps \  Ford 302 in a 87 mazda B2200

Ford 302 in a 87 mazda B2200

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 39691
replies 48
following 24

bmzero   +1y
I'm also very interested in doing a 302 swap into my B2600 4X4 project (). I just found out that my rear main is leaking, so instead of fixing it, I may just spend that money on the engine swap. I'm going to watch this thread closely.

What is the best engine to source a 302 from? I'm thinking I should lean toward a pickup or Bronco to make sure and get the transmission and transfer case so I can keep the 4x4 easier. I also have a 3" body lift on mine, so I won't have to cut the transmission tunnel.
paparoach1983   +1y
That would be a good choice also think about swaping the whole suspension over as well good lift and would be fun
289-b2200   +1y
what are you guys doing for drive shafts?
v8xcab   +1y
I have a 351 Winsdsor in my B2000. Yes you do use mustang motor and transmission mounts and they will sit right in the stock mazda mount location with a lil help from a grinder. You must widen these slots to allow for the thicker size stud of the ford mount. I had a little oil pan trouble so I also removed the crossmember below for clearance sake. I fabbed a mount for my factory Mazda slave cylinder to work the Ford parts. I'm still putting mine together but I did not run into the header problem you may come across with the steering shaft. As for a driveshaft I had one custom made with the Mustang yolk on the front and the mazda rear. One solid shaft. There are a few other bridges I have to cross when I get there but this is my 2 cents!!!

I have to resize the rest of my pics as they are over the dumb 256k limit...!!!:P
post photo
v8xcab   +1y

cdrcustoms1   +1y
You would be better off staying with the hydraulic cluch. I put that engine combo in a street rod for a guy and built the entire pedal assembly , I used either a tilton or wilwood slave cylinder made for a vw. The slave cylinder pulls like the cable would. You just have to make a bracket that bolts to the block and tranny and it is adjustable.
crombys22   +1y
Its a shame that place went out of business. Does anyone else make those 5.0l swap kits?
paparoach1983   +1y
yeah i want one and have been looking forever.
v8xcab   +1y
You can use stock mustang mounts in stock mazda locations. Drive shaft will be the only fab needed. Just have to make room for the heavier duty Ford studs in lil maz holes. MSD n electric fuel pump and have a nice day!
mikeyboyh24624   +1y
hey guys wow i did not know that this many people loved mazda b as much as i do and that if i need help with just about anything and i know i will because this is going to be my first build