Page 3 of 5
Mazda Engine Swaps \  Ford 302 in a 87 mazda B2200

Ford 302 in a 87 mazda B2200

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 39690
replies 48
following 24

leo   +1y
I know its an ole post but i love this Idea. I am a ford blue guy with a LOT of mustang ties and think it would be very cool to build this swap for my ride. To the guys who have done this swap successfully i would love to pick your brains. My only trepidation is the clutch. would love to see a few pix of how you guys did this swap
jsnpdy22   +1y
here mine with a 302 stroked to a 331 with a t-5 transmission. Its hydraulic clutch, theres a company that sells conversions for the old mustangs, just a bracket and a slave cyclinder, thats what i used on mine. think i paid like 125 for it. see if i can find the companys name. I also used the 94 95 mustang water pump because its like 1 3/4 shorter than the rest.

thread post photo

thread post photo
dropped90(justin)   +1y

Really good lookin truck you got there. Have any pics of the engine bay like details of mounts and clearances and what mods to get it in there? things like that would be greatly appreciated.

-justin
jsnpdy22   +1y
the firewall was cut to fit but that was because the truck was bd 3 1/4 ", the stock rockers cut off and new ones made. it wouldnt have been cut if it wasnt bd. For mounts i made new ones out of 1/4" and 3/8" plate. the tranny crossmember i cut the old mounting holes off and welded a new plate in and drilled new holes. the crossmember wasnt moved. I will see if i can find some pics.
leo   +1y
Keep me posted if you can find that information. Mine will not be bd. kinda ole school sleeper idea. lovein the classic clean look of my b2000 but would love to drop one of my 5.0 motors in her. What rear end did you end up with to keep it from rippin out? Was thinking a nice clean roller motor with a good rpm intake and a good ole holley 600. Was thinking 84-85 Dura spark set up not really wanting to go the computer route right now. What headers did you use or can i reuse my bbk shorties from the stang set up? I know i know full of questions
simmons3d   +1y
Any and all questions are answered in this 20+ page thread at Mazda truckin. (hope it's ok to post this link)

It looks like a bigger job than people think although the motor does seem to fit very well.
paparoach1983   +1y
after doing the swap it isnt that hard to do. i dont understand why everyone is saying its hard
old rob   +1y
Email They have the experiance and may even have the adapters you'll need. Isn't the frame the same inside width as the older Rotary trucks?
paparoach1983   +1y
no the newer 85-86 and up have a different frame the rotary trucks are the same as the pre series
deanmiller412   +1y
here is a glimps of my 88 b2200 with a 302 ho from a mustang everything worked great good swap had to fab a few mounts but all in all it will drop in cross member under oil pan had to be dropped a little to clear and motor mount holes cut larger. tranny mount needs to be moded too. wiring was the hardest part for me i spliced factory mazda harness to ford harness. i used a solid drive shaft and put a Currie 9" rearend in it to match engine.