threads
Page 5 of 9
Mazda Lowering Static \  how to: re-index torsion bars (with pics)

how to: re-index torsion bars (with pics)

Mazda Lowering Static Mazda Suspension Mazda Tech
views 38828
replies 86
following 44

bigwills12ab2000ny   +1y

what size tires are you running? im running 205/75/14 and yours looks so much more tucked then mine does im sitting on bumpstops too and my shocks are almost fully compressed haha great write up helped alot dont forget to add that where the mount sits on the control arm has a 17mm nut on the back of the bolt to hold it with a wrench when trying to get the bolt out
b22trk91   +1y
Hey ive got a rhd will torsion bars still rotate same way clockwise and anti clockwise
gcncsuhd   +1y

Yes the same way, unless your truck was upside down and backwards as well The design of all torsion bar suspensions in general all work the same way.
halen2600i   +1y
when you say to "..turn the torsion bar COUNTERCLOCKWISE the amount of splines you want for your drop. i did 3 and got me almost tucking tire..." does that mean turn it one full rotation to where the lines you made would separate then align again and do that 3 times? Might be dumb question, but just wanna make sure haha
supratreo   +1y
no turn it just 3 splines. if you rotate it 3 times and put the lines back together that doesn't do anything at all.
halen2600i   +1y
oh ok thanks
halen2600i   +1y
With the pic from under step 8, its the bracket that holds the grooves and the rod that has the teeth and you just off set the marks by 2 teeth correct? sorry again just want to make sure, new to modifications. thanks!
chinpokumon   +1y
Yea. Make the mark BEFORE you slip the torsion bar out of the control arm bracket! Then just move the bar CounterClockwise for the driver's side and Clockwise for the passenger side from your STOCK setting - meaning your marks will no longer line up.

I just did this to mine tonight. I never had to remove the control arm bracket. I hit on the torsion bar key a few times and it began to slide out (BOTH sides). I got lucky!! I only moved mine one spline....the roads around here suck and I didn't wanna keep smashing the bumpstops.

It was cool to have the instructions - made it easier. Took me a little over an hour. I used anti-seize on the splines in case I had to remove it again and made sure to use some good heavy-duty grease on the contact points of the torsion bar and frame!
halen2600i   +1y

Got any pics of ya truck and how much it lower it by just doing it one instead of two?
chinpokumon   +1y
Not yet. I took a couple, but realized I was sitting on the stops with just one spline! My bars must be whooped ... or maybe it was done by previous owner (but I seriously don't think so). I took out the stops, then messed with the adjusters to balance it out. I got a fender to ground of just over 26" with stock tire/wheel. I'll try to get a pic or two soon.