Page 5 of 5
Mazda Engine General \  kia swap

kia swap

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 40850
replies 50
following 25

mazdaman82   +1y
thats what i thought but water is geting to the plugs,its out of a 99 kia sportage, the boots should seal it up, but i put rtv on it...will see how that works
paparoach1983   +1y
rtv may work but the boots should seal the whole. and i have looked it up and there is no gasket for the top part.
mazdaman82   +1y
ya i got new plug wires and hope the boot seals it but i put the rtv on the cap any way
beastly450r   +1y
ok so im in the middle of the kia swap and everything is going great i just need to figure out the wireing. I have no clue how to get power to the computer i have looked up wiring diagrams and i went to hook it up and fried my computer. It was just wonderful it made a beautiful poping sound and i pulled it apart to fine it was fried. I have all the sensors hooked up correctly i just need to know how to hook up the computer. I hooked it up the way it was hooked on the kia and apearently i messed up somewhere because it fried. Please i need help im running out of money and i need my truck back thanks..
squeek   +1y
following this thread to. very interesting!!!
kenneth_ugalde   +1y
Hi,
there is a lot of good information in this thread.

It is discouraging though, to see someone without the basic mechanical and electrical knowledge, hoping to be carried by the hand on how to do the swap. Almost anyone can use a wrench and turn a nut.

It would be of great help if the information shared was on the details that someone worked out already, like the right pulley to use, what parts interchange, what exhaust is a bolt on, etc. That is sensible information.

I do not mean to discourage newbies on getting their hands dirty, but would much rather like to see some pictures for example of the finished product, information shared on where the ECU was installed, how to make the Mazda tacho work, and in general, how to make a good swap that's reliable and easy on the eyes, instead of a hack job.

I have recently added an '87 single cab, manual, base model B2000, to my other Mazda vehicles. I love the brand.

Just put in Red/Clear taillight lenses, did the Ranger headlamp swap but hate the way it looks when you aim the lamps to get proper dispersion on the road, so I ordered some projectors to put in those lamps, from The Retrofit Source.
That way I'll make the lamps fit as best as possible with the grille and attach the projectors so that they fit and work as intended.

I need to replace the aging 2.0 Liter motor and this swap is a great option.

If there is more information to share on the process I would appreciate it very much.

Ken
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
batman6913 says: "So I am pulling the motor out of my rwd 2000 sportage. No idea if I need to pull the wiring harness?"

You are going to have to use the Kia wiring harness and ECU.
You are going to have to use every sensor that the Kia harness uses
You are going to have to add a fuel pump that can put out 45-50 psi.
You are going to have to upgrade your fuel lines to handle that pressure.
You are probably going to have to go from 1/4" diameter fuel lines to 5/16" fuel lines.
The Lizard King   +1y
That's a lot of tweaking!
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
"I seen in the tread that the b2000 fuel pump can handle it."

That is incorrect information. None of the FE motors had FI so they wouldn't need a fuel pump that puts out 45-50 psi. If you can find a B2200 FI or B2600 FI truck the fuel pump should work for the swap. If the Kia harness doesn't have a provision for a low oil pressure bypass you should probably make an allowance for it in the offhand chance that the engine gets shut off like in a crash and the fuel pump keeps pumping fuel through a broken fuel line. All that conversion work up in flames.
batman6913   +1y
The plastic clip holding the wiper control wires broke on my 92 b2200. Can someone send me a picture of both sides of the plug so I can correctly conext them to the plug till I can find another female clip. JC Whitney and Summit does not carry those little plastic female clips for these plugs and even the auto parts stores here in town don't carry them. Stupid.
post photo