Page 2 of 5
Mazda Engine General \  kia swap

kia swap

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 40851
replies 50
following 25

johnh2os   +1y
The junkyard down the road from me has QUITE a few for $850(Complete minus acc., has wiring harness and computer). Let me know if you want the info. Hopefully I will be able to tell you if it will clear the stock hood by this weekend.

John
madbagger   +1y
ok dumb question time--> what year trucks can this be done on cause i was lookin at a chilton's manual for my truck today and it said my 89 has a 2.2 can i still do the swap?
johnh2os   +1y

I am doing the wap in an 89........with a 2.2.
madbagger   +1y
cool thanks
madlowmazda   +1y
I got this message from another member- thought it had good questions and thought I would share my answers in this forum:

did u add a fuel pump to increase fuel pressure since u switched from a carberated motor to fuel injection?

I used a B2600i fuel pump assembly. The b series truck carb engine uses a mechanical fuel pump on the side of the head. If you have a b2600i truck you are in luck- although your trans and motor mounts won't work though!

can i do this swap without the EDIS ignition because i have no idea how to make a VR sensor can i use the stock ignition?

If you can get a j-spec FE3 it may come with a distributor- however you will have the same problems that the guys are having when they swap the f2t 12 valve probe/626 motor into the b series trucks- the distributor goes into the firewall.

The VR sensor is not that hard to put together. I had a pulley machined for 100 bucks at a machine shop- and I made the VR sensor mount out of scrap metal. EDIS is really the way to go. I have even retained the stock kia coil packs and use them with the EDIS ignition.

can i use the stock kia engine accessories like the alternator and a/c ?

sure- they are fairly similar to the mazda parts anyways- just have different brackets and mounting points

how did u wire the engine like all the sensors, PCM, and other stuff?

I used Megasquirt II standalone engine management. I used the megasquirt suggested wiring harness, and wired it all up myself. They are not a whole lot of sensors for megasquirt and depending on your setup- some may or may not be needed. If you plan on using a system like megasquirt- I suggest you read up on how to hook up that system. It is alot to explain but is fairly easy too.

and ,just out of curiosity, why does the stock kia exhaust suck?

It is a design that is similar to the stock b2200 truck engine- it has a charcoal canister/ precatilytic converter right at the exhaust manifold- it is way restrictive. Plus it is cast iron- and it is known for cracking. The 1.8 miata exhaust manifold is the way to goo here too. It's a nice steel manifold that is very free flowing and very header like.
maz   +1y
Also want to add that if you use or have a fuel injected factory mazda truck the intank pump should be sufficent. I am gonna use it on my 4.3 cause the shop manual says it has enough pressure just some more info
Later
madlowmazda   +1y
yes the b2200 fi pump will work too
paparoach1983   +1y
dam man that answered alot of my questions and considering i work for kia this shouldnt be that hard to do
dzminiz   +1y
Normally you'd get flamed for bumping a 3 year old thread..... But, the info is nice to read up on. lol

Anybody run a carb on these swaps?
elbine69   +1y
Ive never seen a carbed fe3, one with ITB's would be pretty sweet though.