Page 5 of 5
Dually Projects \  89 custom crew cab dually gettin started a little late

89 custom crew cab dually gettin started a little late

Dually Projects
views 10220
replies 42
following 11

mdub4life29   +1y
the bags setting on the plate when layed out will be fine. did you ever go to the cab and chassis rear end? u might want to consider keeping the dodge rear end! I did a cummins in my 84 and man it hates the 4.56 gears I cant even really do freeway speeds without it screaming. I got a early 90s dodge with 3.54s but its WAY narrower than a stock chev rear end let alone a c&c rear end.
tahoe_on 44s   +1y
Jbell I did not widen the fenders I had a 9.5" 14 bolt gm axle Layin around I used just to get it Rollin again a lot of people run the 3/4 ton axles unless you want to do the body work, welding is a lot easier to me, body work takes me forever

Thanks mdub as for the c&c axle it Turned out to be another Dana 70 with disc brakes I think it is out of an 06 I pulled it out to sell it and for the dodge axle you used was it a 1ton axle or did you use a 3/4 ton mine is a 1 ton but there is a 4x4 shop I talked to about shortening the dodge axle I haven't measured it yet so not sure if it needs it but either way he said he could have it done for 3-400 he even talked about workin a trade on shortening the dodge axle for my factory Dana he's gotta project he was wantin to use it in

Quick update on the truck didn't have time or patience to mess with the motor mounts so ordered a set so now the motor is in I still have to brace the frame where I cut for clearance on the ac comp. Cut out the old front crossmember and buil a new one moved it forward a few inches for extra clearance. I got lucky with the trans crossmember and was able to use the same one I had built when I had the 6.5 in there had to modify the factory isolator to bolt up to the trans
Also is it unusual that I had to cut out my trans tunnel for clearance and even some of the fire wall.it doesn't' bother me just sets me back a little more than planned, I plan to go ahead and raise the tunnel where I had to cut it lookin at all the boddied duallies on here has got me thinkin I may go that rout later onbut for now just the bags I'm ready to drive this thing
tahoe_on 44s   +1y
So after getting all the bodywork on the bed done I was lookin thru craigslist a few nights ago and found a bed for cheap with no rust or dents 1 good fender and a like new tailgate so I scooped it up hate to have wasted time on the original but I won't have to be worried about any rust later on have ordered I hope everything to get it running minus the rearend or have the u joints changed over not sure which way I'm gonna go yet may just have the dodge axle shortened. Also ordered all new bushings for new rear link setup probably gonna do something like comegetsome just did I like the way his setup looks hopefully this thing will be on the road in the next month or so we just lost a mgr at our restaurant and another broke his collar bone ridin ms so I been pullin double overtime the last 3 weeks till he gets back between work and the family the dually has been gettin neglected lately was hopin to have it done before it gets too hot but doubt that will happen