Page 1 of 20
Dually Projects \  The Fat Girl 86', C30, 3+3, dually, bagged, SFBDed on 22.5"s

The Fat Girl 86', C30, 3+3, dually, bagged, SFBDed on 22.5"s

Dually Projects
views 77996
replies 193
following 33

john-e bravada   +1y
I started to put the build details in my new members thread but figured it should have a full thread of it's own.

That title wore me out and I skipped the part about the 91' Cummins and Eaton FS6306 trans.

I bought the 86' 2yrs ago but after finishing up a couple other projects, a job swap and a move later I'm finally getting rolling on it. I'm starting late on the thread so I'll be playing catch up at 1st.

We'll start with where I spotted it and it on the trailer on it's way home(the last house).
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
Post was last edited on Jul 19, 2013 09:07. This post has been edited 1 times.
john-e bravada   +1y
After I got it home I pulled some of the "accessories off I wasn't going to use, the brush guard, visor, grab handles, etc and gave it a good bath. It was amazing the mildew and mold that was growing on it.

thread post photo

thread post photo
john-e bravada   +1y
I wanted to run a Cummins in it so I spread the word and waited for something to pop up. I ended up with a lead on a 91' intercooled W250 Dodge that the guy bought just fo the trans. That was just fine with me I didn't want the Getrag anyway. I saved the D60 front axle and the Cummins and the rest went to the scrap yard.

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
john-e bravada   +1y
After the job change and the move I setup the new shop to get some real work done and started to tear down "Steve". Once I pulled the front clip I found "Steve" writted on the front of the cab under the passenger side fender and so it got it's name. The bed came off and it was ready to pull in for the fun to begin.
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
john-e bravada   +1y
I pushed the truck in the shop and pulled the drive train and started Z-ing the frame. I went 4" up and 1" forward to get the cross member off the ground and the tires away front the firewall. With that welded up it was on to the front suspension. I'll be running 3800# bags all the way around so fitting them in the front wasn't easy. It took 10" pipe cups and allot of cutting to get them to fit. I'm not running drop spindles so that further complicated things. I'm also switching from DRW hubs to SRW hubs so I had to stretch the arms to allow tire to frame clearance. The upper arms are 3" longer and the lowers are 2 1/2" longer.
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
john-e bravada   +1y
Then we went on to the body drop. We ran 4 x 3 x 5/16" tubing under the cab and cut off the bottom of the stock frame. This put the frame above the pinch welds but I was planning drag blocks on the bottom of the frame anyway so it should all work out.
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
john-e bravada   +1y
Last night was plating the arms and C-notching the rear. They ended up WAY higher then I thought they should but putting the bags over the axle adds 3" to them.
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
john-e bravada   +1y
Oh, almost forgot the eye candy, I procured 6 brand new in the box 22.5 machine finish Alcoas. I proceeded to make my own 8-10 lug adapters.
thread post photo

thread post photo
iarodder   +1y
Very nice progress man, you work quick. I like that, I'm building a car inside the shop right now cause my Dually won't fit inside, but when it warms up I'm going to start in tearin into it in the driveway. Bags and S.F.B.D. for me as well. Awesome!
big bear   +1y
killer