Page 1 of 55
Dually Projects \  77 CC squarebody sfbd build thread..it rolls and runs

77 CC squarebody sfbd build thread..it rolls and runs

Dually Projects
views 126943
replies 546
following 80

sparkys-crewcab   +1y
this is my 77 gmc crewcab dually... its been setting for years, but i am finally getting to work on it a little...thought i might as well make a build thread....
i have lots of plans for this truck , but money is tight ..

i know how you guys like pics....here ya go

it has a rebuilt stock 350 small block with a 350 turbo...thinking about a 700r4 later..
needs rockers replaced etc...this is going to be be a budget cheap build.. all the parts i have , ive gotten them very cheap...lmao except a couple things...

this is what i started with.. 1500.00 bucks
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

after i put the belltech 3 inch drop spindles on and the springs out.....not cheap! ( i payed 475.00 for them) ouch!
thread post photo

thread post photo

got the top bag mounts on ebay the other day for 5.00 plus 13.00 shipping...cheap!
thread post photo

this is my heater/ac blower that mounts up under the dash..i can now get rid of the one on the firewall..i dont know who makes it,,but i got it for 20 bucks at pull a part . out of a limo...lol...cheap!
thread post photo

more pics to come , as soon as it stops raining....and i get off my butt and do something else..
Post was last edited on Jun 21, 2012 07:06. This post has been edited 7 times.
erock805   +1y
I gotta get a under dash unit too. Tell me how your works...
sparkys-crewcab   +1y
my under dash unit has a heater core on one side the air conditioner part on the other...
just run your heater hose inside the truck through the firewall to the unit..
after you tear the original heater core and outside box off the firewall, you will have lots of room to fit it under the dash out of sight.... it has dash switch to turn it on low /med/high...real simple
ive looked to see if it had where it was made at , but it doesnt have anything on it..
the ac lines run to it like the stock lines do. i will have to get some made if i want some air conditioning..at least i have the ends...

i wish i would have bought all the ones pull a part had. there where 4 cadillac limos with all the same heater/ac blowers...they had them mounted in the trunks and were easy to get out...i didnt realize i was going to need it for the dually. i just thought it was kinda cool...lol

i got these from pull a part a few weeks ago...16.00....cheap!
thread post photo
Post was last edited on Dec 06, 2010 12:12. This post has been edited 1 times.
someotherguy   +1y
Nice work keeping the cost on the low-low.. but you probably want to forget the TH350 or 700R4, drive that truck like you should and you'll spit pieces of either one of those two all over the street. They're for 1/2 tons. Get you a TH400 in there, it's what it should have already, and they're not expensive. Probably find a good one for a couple hundy.

Richard
sparkys-crewcab   +1y
thanks...

i was lucky to get the rebuilt small block 350 and the turbo350 on ebay for 425.00 for both... the truck had a big block 425 cadillac motor in it when i bought it...it blew a headgasket..trans was slipping , i junked them both..lol

the current engine/trans setup has about 3000 miles since it was dropped in... it seems to do ok. i dont haul anything with it....it also has a 4.10 gear in the rear , so it doesn't like going over 55....lol
watahyahknow   +1y
looks good im keeping my eye on this one
sparkys-crewcab   +1y
sparks are going to fly on my truck really soon........ive never done a build log before. so i might be all over the place...
plus i am doing all the work by myself....

new parts i have purchased..besides the ones i already have posted..

2 re7 bags and some round steel to do the cup in the lower arm...

2 re7 bags- rear bags

50ft 1/4inch air line

2 - 3 foot pieces of 2x4 steel 1/4 inch -to do the notch

dana 70hd ring and pinion 3.54 ----i can do 70mph without my engine sounding like its going to pop...

2 link setup...poly bushings--

harbor freight 220v mig welder. setup with a bottle. no flux ---cheap but it works great for what i want to do..
i have a lincoln tombstone 225 arc welder for the big stuff....

caddy tailight buckets.....i know, know...everybody does them... i like them....long live townasty....lol
york 210 ac compressor
5 gallon air tank and fittings..
2 paddle valves with air gauge for right now... i cant afford 300.00 in valves
billet grille

i have a few other things i need to purchase..
bag brackets for the rear
sheet metal to shave the firewall , and other holes in the body
and some other things i cant remember....

oh, yea.. i found a running 6.2 detroit diesel engine in a 80's surburban with a bad trans for cheap...i may not do the swap right now. but sooner or later its going to happen...
i cant wait to get over 20mpg in my dually....lol
Post was last edited on Dec 19, 2011 08:12. This post has been edited 2 times.
conundrum   +1y
I am going to watch this one, I am trying to build a 79 GMC crew cab dually on the cheap (for now anyway).

Are you keeping the side trim on your truck?
1967rs   +1y
Cool project! It sounds like you are just like me, a cheap bastard. I don't think I have ever seen the caddy tail lights in a square body, how do thry look?
sparkys-crewcab   +1y
yes..im cheap.....

i think i am going to keep all the trim...but not real sure yet...

this is the only pic i could find right off hand......

thread post photo
Post was last edited on Mar 15, 2011 11:03. This post has been edited 1 times.