Dually Projects
views 127143
replies 546
following 80

lockone   +1y
Nice progress.
sparkys-crewcab   +1y
thanks lock..

i dropped both frame horns yesterday. welded in some 1/4 thick spiderweb gussets. its coming together slowly

thread post photo

thread post photo
h2omelon(nick)   +1y
Looking good
98crewcabbb   +1y
thats it....inspired. heading out to fire up the plasma..........

looking great man, nice clean work!
sparkys-crewcab   +1y
get out there and chop it up!..just make sure to measure a bunch of times before you cut. or you wont be happy with yourself..

originally i bought a used plasma, but it would only cut very thin sheet metal..booo! put it back on craiglslist...

my frame has been shaped the old fashioned way with grinding wheels and a sawsall . (95% with a grinder) oh yea, and a lincoln 225 arc welder (i love that thing) it will give you a sunburn in 30 seconds flat. who needs a tanning bed...lmao

i killed the first harbor freight 4 1/2 inch grinder i bought when i started all this. it started making a funny sound and sparks started flying out of the motor vents. the cord caught on fire. sparks were shooting out of it...i would say it's done with its grinding career. at least they only cost 20 bucks
sparkys-crewcab   +1y
i finally got the engine/trans set in the frame to set up everything.(exhaust,driveshaft,trans crossmember)

the trans member bolts to some 1/4 steel angle mounts that are welded to the frame... a little more measuring and the carrier bearing mount will be ready to be welded in..oh, i still have to clearance the trans mount to give some wiggle room for the 3 inch exhaust
good news is my header flanges are not going to hit the ground when laid out. they are even with the bottom of the frame. the catalytic converters are the same way. at least nothing will be hanging down past the frame.

more pics!

thread post photo

found a good deal on a brand new red prothane polyurethane trans mount..10 bucks on ebay..
thread post photo
jcampbell1180   +1y

You have cats on yours? Weird. My '77 doesn't have 'em.
sparkys-crewcab   +1y
tennessee makes you puts cats on anything that is 1974 and newer. ( i think that is the year) they used to let all 1 ton trucks be exempt until they changed that rule as well. they want everybody to pass emissions around here...lol

i wish i didn't have to use them . they just get in the way. and of course i will have to buy a new one to replace one of them. somehow the honeycomb inside the cat got busted up . they were brand new...
mazdawg(mikey)   +1y
Good build soo far man. Frame is looking super clean. Those frame horns don't need any more bracing?
sparkys-crewcab   +1y
thanks mazdawg...

if i have enough room, i may throw a gusset on top of the frame horns . i need to test fit the front clip to see if the radiator is going to hit anything.

i did measured the distance from the front cab mount, to the bottom support of the radiator to make sure i had room to fit the radiator (before i cut the frame horns off ) . it is going to be a really close fit....
Post was last edited on Oct 22, 2011 02:10. This post has been edited 2 times.