Page 6 of 63
Dually Projects \  75 Dually Project - 22s and stylin

75 Dually Project - 22s and stylin

Dually Projects
views 172215
replies 621
following 62

75dually   +1y
After another very long work day I did get a couple of hours in the shop. I have been working on the towers and the bag placement. I made a cardboard cut out of the tower late last night and got it positioned. Tonight I cut out a dimensional representation of the #3800 air bag. I have 2 other bag styles I am considering, but have not done all the mock up's yet. Maybe tomorrow...

I do not plan on laying frame with this ride. I want a very healthy drop, don't get me wrong, but laying frame with this ride is not in the cards.

So with this in mind I used the bag cut out along with the different bag support towers I have to see where a rough placement of the bags would be. At least now I have a rough idea of where I want to start.
post photo
75dually   +1y
I HATE STEEL RIVETS!!!

Lots of good work today, plus one knuckle got smacked last night (have to have at least one knuckle get tore up per project).

As you can see the rear end is now out and I have removed most of the hangers and other items. Did I mention I hate rivets!

So hopefully tomorrow I will start on getting the rear end out of the Suburban and start to fab up the new rear end.

Check out my latest pics and let me know what you think.
post photo
post photo
post photo
75dually   +1y
I did get one more thing accomplished tonight. I got all the interior trim cleaned up and painted. Now all the trim at least is the same color!
big bear   +1y
Yes those rivets suck terribly.they piss me off and there's so many haha. Trucks looking great man.o,I agree bout the rear windows.pain in the ass.especially with my supersized hands.
75dually   +1y
THE SUBURBAN REAR END IS OUT!!!!!

It started to come out real easy. All the bolts and fastners except the U-Bolts came out fairly easy. That is until I started on those U-Bolts!! Man they fought me the whole way, especially on the drivers side. However I know how to get something apart. Either by big torque or with the blue wrench. Either way they will come off!!!

So once we get done singing at church tonight I am going to start to mock up the rear suspension. Can't wait!

Stay tuned....
post photo
leedogg   +1y
Nice man- Did you post the width difference in the stock rear vrs the burban rear? I thought I saw it somewhere, and now don't see it.

EDIT- found the info on page 1. doh! 4" narrower from wheel mount to wheel mount. so 2" per side.
75dually   +1y
I will make sure to post the exact specs tomorrow. I know there are a couple of guys wanting to know this as well. I started to do that tonight but I needed to roll the rear end under the dually so I could get it out of the way. That 4" was a decent measurement but I was laying under the Suburban at the time. Wait and I will get you a more exact measurement verses the dually rear end.
75dually   +1y
I took the measurements on both rear ends today. Check it out!

When I say below "mounting flange", I mean where the rim meets the brake drum. So it is from mounting surface to mounting surface.

Suburban 3/4 ton rear end - 67" inches mounting flange to mounting flange.

Dually 1 ton rear end - 73 3/8" inches mounting flange to mounting flange.

So to do the simple math the Suburban axle is 6 3/8" inches narrower. That is 3 3/16" per side! That should more than fit those semi rims under my dually!
leedogg   +1y
Sounds perfect- that would tuck my 22's just right.I need 3" per side by my measurement to tuck wheel.
75dually   +1y
Glad I could help! I have been wanting to know the exact measurements since I started this project myself. I did not want to do any mods to the fenders if I did not have too. Saves me a ton of work!