Page 1 of 63
Dually Projects \  75 Dually Project - 22s and stylin

75 Dually Project - 22s and stylin

Dually Projects
views 171577
replies 621
following 62

75dually   +1y

I have recently started a 1975 Dually project. I bought the truck a couple of miles from the house in Lubbock, TX. The truck had no motor or transmission, but was in great shape with no rust!!! The next weekend I went and purchased a 1989 Suburban which only had 53K miles. The 454 and the turbo 400 were in excellent shape. Drove that bad boy home and started to tear it apart and transplant it into the dually.

First thing was the engine and trans. A fairly straight forward swap. Then bit by bit I have been taking items such as the power brakes, wiring harness, the front clip and the doors off the Suburban and putting them on the dually. The doors have power windows and locks which is a must have on my rides. You can see a picture of the donor Suburban, man it is looking pretty thin now that everything has been pulled off it.

Don't get me wrong but I like the front ends of the 89 GMC/Chevy's better than the older 75 front end. So the old parts had to go and the new ones grafted on. Not as easy as bolting them on and calling it a day. The hinges are different and needed to have some fab work done on the cowl. Check out the picture and see what had to be done just to fit the hinges.

My future plans for this truck is to convert it over to 22" Alcoas, and bag it. I already have the air ride stuff from a former project. So that is just waiting to get installed. I may do 22's on the front and 24's on the rear, not sure yet, but I want this thing to have a very mean rake. I have only had this truck for the past 2 months and the project has moved right along. Next on the front end is to take the 3/4 ton brakes and spindles off the Suburban and replace the 1 ton units. That way the tires and rims don't rub the fender wells. Once I get everything done in the cab and the front end I will then turn the truck around and start on the fab work on the rear end. That will be a ton of fun! Can't wait to start the fabrication!

I hope you like the pictures. My wife has been telling me that I should be taking a lot more photos and posting them for others to see. Seeing that I do all my own work I get so deep into what I am doing that I forget. I just want the work done so I can go take this bad boy out and run it around! I forget that others might like to see what other hot rodders are up to. I am allways looking around for ideas on what might make my rides unique that I forget to put out there what I have done. I have built a lot of cars over the years, but wished I would have taken more photos of the builds. I am going to try and keep up on this project so you can see my progress.

If you think of cool ideas let me know!

I will post more photos as I progress along.

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
75dually   +1y

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

leedogg   +1y
Nice progress. Wish I just had a shop to work on mine.LOL
big bear   +1y
Welcome aboard, love the project man..sweet setup and plans
75dually   +1y
Yes I was very lucky to find this house with a shop this large. I don't take this for granted. I have built many a vehicle in the driveway like everyone else.
75dually   +1y
I had a lucky stroke today. A friend told me of a truck salvage yard in town that had a nice supply of Alcoa's. I went over to check them out, and had to dig through every rim on the property! Black widow city dude! I hate spiders!!! Man was I ever dirty once we got done! After quite a long search I found 6 good rims. They were in need a lot of polishing, but were for the most part in good shape. Going to take a lot of elbow grease, but it will be worth it! Just talked to the machine shop and I am going to bring them by on Monday to get them cut down.

Now I have to save up for the adapters and tires... Ouch!
Post was last edited on Oct 13, 2012 05:10. This post has been edited 1 times.
75dually   +1y
Here are the rims
post photo
duallybourbon   +1y
Congrats!
75dually   +1y
Just spent the last couple of hours polishing those rims. The less than perfect ones are going to be used for my inside rims. But I was glad that I spent the time to go hunt good rims and to get 4 that were in good shape. OK decent enough shape that I could polish out all the road rash and minor imperfections that is.

Once I get to the rear of the truck I am going to use the 3/4 ton rear end out of the donor Suburban. It is 3 inches narrower than the current rear end, and it has highway gearing. I did some early measurments tonight and if all goes well I should not have to cut my fenders. I will only know the exact measurments once I get everything assembled. However my initial findings are that I should be very close to the fender lip. I don't want to have to cut up those fenders!
leedogg   +1y
Nice. I saw a Square CC 3/4 ton truck in a Mechanic Shops yard that is rusting away. hoping to check into the rear in it, for the same reasons, maybe they'll sell it to me.