Page 1 of 68
Dually Projects \  SFBD square with a Cummins and custom chassis

SFBD square with a Cummins and custom chassis

Dually Projects
views 109019
replies 674
following 60

bagged dually   +1y
I finally bought my first dually. I picked up a 1987 GMC Sierra crew cab, Camper Special, 3+3, with 90k original miles. It had been sitting for a while and looked like a J.C. Whitney catalog had puked all over it. Overall though the truck was in decent shape if you could see past all the crap someone had bolted and stuck all over it. I ended up getting it for $1300 and drove it home.
I've had it for a few weeks now and have found that it has new tires, a GM crate 454, new starter, and battery. So all in all I think I got a pretty good deal on it.
The plans for it are to get it Stock floored to lay rocker, get it bagged, shave it smooth, drop some 22's on it, and than get the interior done. The interior will probably stay pretty stock with the exception of some new seats out of a newer Tahoe or Yukon or something along those lines.
Forgot to mention that isn't going to be a super fast build. I'll be doing most of the work solo and without a lot of equipment. So patience is going to be my friend on this one.
post photo
Post was last edited on Mar 18, 2014 03:03. This post has been edited 8 times.
bagged dually   +1y
This is after a day or two with the truck. I've gotten some of the crap off of it, but still not all of it in this picture. I did manage to get all the rest of the loose clear coat knocked off with the pressure washer and got the front fender in primer.
The bad news is that I found I'm probably going to have to replace the dually fenders after I started to chip away the bondo someone gooped in it. It even looks like they've tryed to bondo a front fender light into the dually fender.
post photo
post photo
bagged dually   +1y
Since most of my Emissions was already broken or missing I decided it was time to just get rid of all of it. Luckily I stumbled across a set of headers for my truck I can use for now for next to nothing. They'll work for now anyway.

I also have started ordering the parts to get it bagged. I've got everything for the front now, and I'm still hung up on what type of set up to run on the back. As soon as I make up my mind on that I'll order the stuff for that and get it all installed as soon as I can.
post photo
post photo
big bear   +1y
badass truck man. you got great deal for sure. cant wait for this project.
bagged dually   +1y
Thanks Big Bear
I didn't get to much done today. I did manage to slide away to finish ripping all the old man crap off of it. I got the huge mirrors taken off, and the stake pockets shaved also.
I'm having to work on it outside right now. I'm stuck in a rental house until my old house sells and we can buy a new house. I'm going to try and get it into my little brothers shop in the next few days. Once I get it there I'll start tearing it down for the new suspension and body drop. Plus he has a nice big Miller TIG welder that should come in handy on this project.
post photo
post photo
bagged dually   +1y
Well between work and the rain I didn't get much done today. I did manage to get my front clip off though. A little progress is better than no progress I guess.
post photo
mdub4life29   +1y
subscribed. what all did u buy for the front setup
bagged dually   +1y
So far I've gotten most of my front end stuff from Chassis tech. Not the best quality stuff I've been told but I'm poor. I've got a pair of their Denominator 2 2600lbs bags. I think they have about an 11" stroke. A viair knock off compressor until I get my engine driven bought. 4-1/2" valves, all 1/2 line, and a few check valves and fittings. I still have to figure out what size tank to run and make my cups.
Post was last edited on Dec 24, 2011 02:12. This post has been edited 1 times.
racedaddy   +1y
Good lookin truck to start with.
bagged dually   +1y
Thanks Race.
I'm on vacation with the family for the holidays right now so not much getting done. My house I have for sale though I found out was burglarized a couple of nights ago. I talked to my insurance company today and their going to cover everything. Some of the stuff that was taken was broken or ready for the trash. So as soon as I get that check from the insurance I should have some extra funds for parts. That should help get things rolling a little better.