Page 2 of 6
Dually Engine \  454 hard to start

454 hard to start

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 17160
replies 54
following 14

brianbgboy   +1y
the ONLY way to correctly diagnose this is the way i posted earlier. if the fuel pressure drops down when the engine is killed, it WILL BE the injectors. the fuel pressure regulator will cause stalling when running, like the fuel pump will. the fuel pumps in these go out more often due to heat from overworking to push fuel through faulty injectors, and because it has to keep repriming the air out of them every time you start the engine. if you have good pressure when idleing, the injectors are screwing you up. these gave me more power, better starting, and waaaaaaaaaaayyyy better mileage. they will be the yellow set on the left of the screen. i work on these things everyday, and can tell you the gm multec injectors are the worst design ever. later, brian
brianbgboy   +1y
sorry!!! just copy and paste the link fella's
98crewcab   +1y
brianbgboy.....I assume the truck will still pass emmision testing?with the yellow injectors?
I have to smog my truck every two years....
brianbgboy   +1y
yes sir. it will pass perfect. the stock injectors use a pintle(small needle) in the center thay lets the fuel spray when it opens. the bosch have four holes in them that mists the fuel. you get 100% better atomization, which leads to ALL the fuel dropped into the cylinder being used instead of just evaporation before it even gets into the cylinder. the yellow's were by far the best investment i made to my engine. later, brian
pig rig   +1y
brian you've got the gerbal on the run in my head about my whole fuelpressure problem that I'M DEALING WITH and I'm starting to fall into the thought of bigger and more pressure is better
on a side thought if I bring up my pressure on the stock gm injectors to lets say 15psi wont that help atomnize the fuel better
brianbgboy   +1y
if your injectors are designed to flow to a higer psi, than yes. if you have stock, you will need the bigger injectors. what setup are you running? are the injectors stock? later, brian
03on22s   +1y
Thanks for the help brian.
tuckin22   +1y
hey brian do you know of anywhere else to get these from?
98crewcab   +1y

Brian for president !!
How long do you think it might take on average to change out injectors on 7.4 1996-2000 trucks?
brianbgboy   +1y
i can change them out in about 2 hours tops. you have to remove the big air line in the upper intake(if equipped) move the main harness to the side of the intake, remove the coil from the rear of the intake, disconnect the fuel canister purge valve, remove the 8 upper intake bolts, and pull it off. the fuel rail is between the upper and lower intake.there are 2 10mm bolts and 2 8mm bolts holding the rail in, remove them and be VERY gentle when you pull the rail up, it is plastic take the metal retainers off all 8 injectors, and slide them out. be sure all the o-rings come off with the old injector from the top and bottom. use some dielectric grease on the new injectors o-rings and slip them in. you will need new upper intake gaskets to do the job, and just reverse the disassembly to assemble. if you guys run into any snags, just shoot me a pm.. p.s. while the upper intake is off, it is a much easier to replace the fuel regulator, which is on the fuel rail at the rear of the engine. it would be a great time to go ahead and replace it now. later, brian