Page 1 of 4
Dually Engine \  Diesels?

Diesels?

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 6728
replies 37
following 11

guilty by design   +1y
We all know that the diesels that came in the bbs (box body style) were hunks of crap, but what if i were to get a truck like that and somehow put a newer diesel engine in it? What would all be involved in that? I know its got to be easier than starting with a gas powered truck.
I ask because im looking to buy a 40ft enclosed gooseneck and will be needing a lil more pulling power.
dragnasty   +1y
i wanted to do a 6.5 turbo swap in mine until i looked at all the wiring and whatnot.......I did a fuel injected small block swap in mine....hasnt hurt my performance and I get double the gas mileage!
guilty by design   +1y
Hows it pull? Mileage? How much are you pulling?
dragnasty   +1y
The most I pull is a single car trailer. As far as power, pulling or regular driving, it is about the same as the 454 that was in it. I actually like the small block better because it is computerized so I could also used a computer operated tranny. The advantage comes with the 4L80E tranny that I have in it. That would be the same tranny that came in the newer model duallys, even the diesels. As far as mileage, I get 17mpg highway empty, and 12mpg highway hauling.
guilty by design   +1y
So im looking more and more into a diesel swap, but instead of dropping it in the 86 Im looking for one to put into the 68 when i build it. Now all i have for it right now is a 3:83 rearend and the only time i plan on towing with it will be down the highway to various shows (never in town)
So which one of the big 3 manufacturers would you reccomend? I figure i want to build everything to handle a loaded 40' gooseneck.
low95xlt   +1y
i would almost say go with a newer duramax and allison nuihtn but rave reviews from whati have seen
guilty by design   +1y
Arent the duramaxs' the quieter sounding ones?
low95xlt   +1y
stock but sound nice with some upgrades
dragnasty   +1y
they are way too quiet for a diesel! I found out the 6.5 turbo isnt a hard swap. Im gonna be looking for me one.
guilty by design   +1y
Which one is the 6.5? And also is there any notable size difference between them? Remember i gotta try and shoehorn this thing under a 68 chevy.