waterborne paint

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 3264
replies 34
following 17

sik_kreations   +1y
--------------------------------------------

AZ ARTWORX said:

all i got to say is had five cars to paint one week before sema and the only one that didnt get finished was the waterbased one, that truck went with solvent based sealer ....one because it barely fit in my booth... two because they were five days late...and three waterbased wouldnt have made it if i had two weeks....its crap and lol everyone keep me in the loop when solvent dealing is like drug dealing....

what brand were u using?
Shane S   +1y
Well I decided to paint a car today and use solvent just to see what happened. It's the first solvent job i've done since we switched over last summer. It came out great! Layed down smooth! Stayed clean! I also got it done way faster than if i would have been spraying waterborne! All this time I was thinking I forgot how to paint! We're gonna be doing alot of experimenting but we maybe switching back. Atleast until the waterborne technology gets better!
kingtut777   +1y
I definitely want in the solvent loop when it's outlawed :]
sik_kreations   +1y
shane s u should try a different system out. check out sikkens/lesonal or ppg envirobase.
tntmaz   +1y
anyone tried or know much about Sherwin Williams Awx waterbased line? our shops switching here in the next couple weeks and just wanted to get some feedback besides there "sales rep" bs...good thing is our boss is going all out with the booth retro fitting and dryers cause ive heard that half the problems people run into is not being setup for it
AZ ARTWORX   +1y
well that's final when they outlaw solvent i will start the black market i step up to be the kingpin hahaha Brian this stuff is no way shape or form ready to make solvent obsolete on the airbrush front u just cant do what u can with solvent. im sure its fine for painting cars factory right now but not all the custom stuff. have u seen anyone do anything similar to candys if so u got some pics
sik_kreations   +1y

AZ ARTWORX said:

well that's final when they outlaw solvent i will start the black market i step up to be the kingpin hahaha Brian this stuff is no way shape or form ready to make solvent obsolete on the airbrush front u just cant do what u can with solvent. im sure its fine for painting cars factory right now but not all the custom stuff. have u seen anyone do anything similar to candys if so u got some pics

airbrushing with it is not that bad.. plus lines like wicked have more of an artists pallete of colors.. and look at dru blair.. does some of the best photorealitic airbrushing all with waterbased. ive used my fair share of water and have no problems having to one day phase out solvent...
seanb   +1y
To be fair (and honest) Dru mostly works on illustration board using Aeroflash by Holbein which is not designed for automotive painting. It's an acrylic paint which is waterbased but def. not used for automotive work. It hasn't been until the last couple of years that he's advertised for 'Wicked' paint. That said, I think the water-based stuff is fine for freehand airbrushing and some applications but I myself have experienced paint peel after multiple tape-outs and layering so for that reason I stay away from it. Again, this is for the Auto Air stuff I don't know about the other stuff you guys are spraying.
sik_kreations   +1y

seanb said:

To be fair (and honest) Dru mostly works on illustration board using Aeroflash by Holbein which is not designed for automotive painting. It's an acrylic paint which is waterbased but def. not used for automotive work. It hasn't been until the last couple of years that he's advertised for 'Wicked' paint. That said, I think the water-based stuff is fine for freehand airbrushing and some applications but I myself have experienced paint peel after multiple tape-outs and layering so for that reason I stay away from it. Again, this is for the Auto Air stuff I don't know about the other stuff you guys are spraying.

never said what dru uses specifically.. just using that as an example.. and look at the panel he did for auto air.. blows alot of other hard surface artists out the water. either way hes using simple waterbased acrylic.
severedmikey   +1y

sik_kreations said:

its actually faster to use water if ur setup. its sprays better when u get used to it. ive used sikkens, ppg, matrix, dupont and a few other brands of water. alot of guys who spray water around here dont want to switch back.

which brand did you like best?