threads
Page 1 of 3
Body work and Paint \  BARE METAL CLEAR COAT?

BARE METAL CLEAR COAT?

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 7953
replies 23
following 21

dragginbaggins10   +1y
I was wondering if anyone knows of a bare metal Clear coat? I was wanting to paint the my frame clear untill i figure out the color sceme i was wanting to do with the rest of the truck? Any suggestions?
sdime22s   +1y
i am also curious about this cause i'm doing it to the body of my truck.
ShopRat   +1y
yeah u can do it check my profile i did a tailgate its not that hard to do u just got to heat the metal a bit before u spray and alot of heat ater to cure it
lowgmc   +1y
i wouldnt recomend it, but there are paint companys that make a transparent sealer, and etch primers...clear is too expensive to spray over a non painted frame and body. thats just my opinion
bdydrp18   +1y
Originally posted by lowgmc

i wouldnt recomend it, but there are paint companys that make a transparent sealer, and etch primers...clear is too expensive to spray over a non painted frame and body. thats just my opinion

i would have to agree with that. clear is way to costly to just sand off and then do the bodywork. just let is rust and when you are ready to do the bodywork have it sand blasted. it will cost less in the end
dragginbaggins10   +1y
yeah right, So im just gonna let all the hard work of a rear clip go to waste by letting it rust. forget that, That would be pointless and near retarded. My rear clip is my air tank and the integrety of the trucks structural strength why would i put that at risk. I'm borrowing a garage at the moment for a month or so and after that it will be kept in the driveway. I know just regular can clear will not work and will tarnish shortly after applying. The eastwood company makes a black frame paint but i want clear. Would anyone happen to know of any of these illusive bare metal clear making companies....
draggincaddy   +1y
Edited: 2/24/2007 3:50:49 AM by fiveinchbodydrop

eastwood sells a clear that can be used on bare metal. its not to much i dont think... lemme see if i can find it

diamond clearhttp://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=415&itemType=PRODUCT
Hc Daytona Dragger   +1y
If you use regular automotive clear it will turn to yellow after a while, we tried it on a bike we did, you have to get the clear thats made for it or dont drive in the sun lol But yeah I agree use a sealer if anything
injunjoe   +1y
i would go with a sealer, i use PPG sealers they can be clear coated and come in a variety of colors and they will protect for a while. and if u wanted to u could base over the top then clear , its fairly reasonable 50 or so a quart with hardener
Severed701   +1y
its not about the clear yellowing or tarnishing..its the fact that you cant just put clear over bare metal...or non dtm sealers either...they wont stick..and they WONT give you any corrosion protection..you NEED some sort of an etching primer on you bare metal..period..UNLESS the product you are using is DTM..(direct to metal)and has etching qualities built into it..there are a few places out there that make a clear coating that is used for doing outdoor signs and things like that..and i think that kind of product is slowly moving over to the automotive side as well...the diamond clear from eastwood is the best suggestion ive seen on this thread...