threads
Page 1 of 1
Body work and Paint \  new paint job, rough/dry areas in clear coat... help!

new paint job, rough/dry areas in clear coat... help!

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 2513
replies 5
following 4

tcsxtremeison22s   +1y
just sprayed my benz last week. turned out great, except for a few spots in the clear turned out rough/dry. I used a white urethane base, a pearl, and then finished it in a pre-flattened matte clear coat. im very happy with the results until i washed it for the first time and noticed there's some dry/rough spots that I can hardly run a towel across and is a pain to clean those areas..

Ive heard Ajax can cut through it to smooth it out a little, just dont want the ajax to add any sort of sheen to it.. Since it's a matte finish I want to stay away from wet sanding it as that will shine it back up..

Any suggestions?! Any help is greatly appreciated..
nissandoordragger   +1y
sand it down and redo it. no matter what you do to smooth it out it will ether shine it up or change the flatness of it.
WeightLimit   +1y
A long time ago I worked with this guy that used to use Ajax for prepping his blend panels for paint. I didn't end up working there very long at all. Since its a matte I would say just respray your problem area. Only thing you would have to worry about is whether you got any clear on there at all. If you start sanding it for paint, and burn through, your opening up the flood gates for more headache with the white pearl.

Ive never personally had to fix a problem before when spraying the flat/matte clears so I cant offer any advice on what to do in a situation like this. Maybe someone will chime in with a technique they used to keep from having to repaint the panel.
Bizzo   +1y
I’ve gotten away with cutting and polishing. The area flat. Then 3m makes a da pad in 3000 4000 either one will give that matte appearance. Do it wet
Bizzo   +1y
I’ve gotten away with cutting and polishing. The area flat. Then 3m makes a da pad in 3000 4000 either one will give that matte appearance. Do it wet
Page 1 of 1