threads
Page 1 of 3
Body work and Paint \  Whats the goin pay rate for a painters helper?

Whats the goin pay rate for a painters helper?

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 11015
replies 23
following 22

1SICKCANYON   +1y
Whats up guys I was just wondering what your your painters helpers are making in your state. I work at a local chevy dealership in Tucson Az. The bodyshop manager pays half and the painter i work for pays the other half. If your a helper where do you work and what do you make, and if your a painter or shop owner what do you pay your helper. I do everything from jaming new parts to cutting in coresupports and stuff, I prep and rep and get the cars in the booth ready to spary. The only thing I don't do is paint the car. SO if you don't mind sharing I'd appreciate it. Ive been at the shop for 2 years and bust my ass daily, And the manager wont give me a raise. The painter wants to but the manager doesn't. Sorry for such a long post!but i need a damn raise!
Minty Fresh Maz   +1y
Hey, if you dont mind me askin, how did you land your gig? Did you have any experience or training?

Sorry to change the subject... Bump!?!
wckdclw   +1y
i was in school and went in as a co-op student and they started me at 6.25 and the painter gave me like 40 bucks a week......when i got outta school like 2 months ago i got a raise to 8.50 n the same cut from the painter....now im about 2 get another raise here soon 2 around 10 hopefully......i didnt have experience other than from school but just look around n then go 2 the manager n tell him you have an offer for more money and if he doesnt wanna pay you then go there.....hell more than likely pay you seeming how you do the same as me....which is alot
vincer   +1y
helpers around here get 6.50 to 10.00 hr...my day job i put in auto glass so i am in a lot of body shops...there arent many helpers at them.....3 out of 12 maybe have a helper...my night job i have a body shop....i would pay @ 8.00 10.00 hr but you do a lot...2 type of helpers too...1 the beyatch goffer...and the in shop helper...hope this helps...-vincer
ShaveDnFlamed99   +1y
my bro is a "helper" right now but hes been in the game for almost 4 years now hes makin 11.50 from the shop and a percentage from the 3 painters he works under. he does paint whole cars now so his status will soon be changing. just keep your head down and get as much painting experience as you can. hes lucky cause where he works they're so overloaded on werk that he just topped over $30,000 and its only halfway through the year! good luck
simple4door   +1y
im in peoria az and am a helper as well as a painter when he is sick or vacation and i make 12.00 and been there for 8 months but have been in the buisness for 7 years and do alot of custom side jobs wich brings in the spending cash!!
86nissan720   +1y
Yea im a painters assistant at a pontiac/GMC dealership and i do all that you do 23thalr and i started with 7.63/hr and i just got a raise after a year to 8/hr.
TCFabrication   +1y
I was a painter's helper for about 2 years, I started out at $8.00 an hour then around the 1 1/2 mark I was up to$10.00 an hour. I also did some body work though. Now I am just a full time painter and make $16.00 an hour on comission. Try and get as much paint time as you can though so can can just paint cars full time it is much more fun LOL.
redcrew   +1y
thats not enough money to do that sh$$ every day
idminitrucker (jason)   +1y
I have never been a helper and have never had a helper but from what I was told is the shop pays half and I would have to pay the other half. min of $6 an hour. Our shop isnt big enough to realy need helpers.