threads
Page 2 of 3
Body work and Paint \  BARE METAL CLEAR COAT?

BARE METAL CLEAR COAT?

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 7980
replies 23
following 21

Severed701   +1y
and unless your gonna be getting it wet and driving on salty roads on a daily basis..leaving it bare metal is not gonna rust it away so bad that it hurts the structural integrity of your chassis...it will be surface rust and blast right off..just oil it up a bit and leave it bare..and have it blasted when comes time to paint
brcoffey   +1y
yeah man clearing it would be the dumbest thing ever i would either put some epoxy primer on it or if its not going to sit out side for a long time you could spray it with wd-40 to keep it water repalant. the reason im saying this is clear is way to expensive and it will not adhere to a bare frame and if it does it will just eventally fall off. so pease and have fun
TwistedMinis   +1y
Check this stuff out.
http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/

Or go for clear powdercoat.
bodydropped85   +1y
Originally posted by brcoffey

yeah man clearing it would be the dumbest thing ever i would either put some epoxy primer on it or if its not going to sit out side for a long time you could spray it with wd-40 to keep it water repalant. the reason im saying this is clear is way to expensive and it will not adhere to a bare frame and if it does it will just eventally fall off. so pease and have fun

i would rather let it rust then put wd 40 on it. silicone and paint do NOT mix.
brcoffey   +1y
all u have to do to get the silcone is either use grease and wax remover or alittle bit of thinner it is way easier then have to grind down the rust oviously if yr grinding down the rust then yr oviously loosing some of yr metal its way smarter to cover with something other than rust. so pease
brcoffey   +1y
all u have to do to get the silcone is either use grease and wax remover or alittle bit of thinner it is way easier then have to grind down the rust oviously if yr grinding down the rust then yr oviously loosing some of yr metal its way smarter to cover with something other than rust. so pease
dakotamike   +1y
just use a clear adhesion promoter i just polished my upper 4 link bars and cleared over bare metal but used a adhesion promoter so it would stick and it looks awsome and the clear i used is in a can its dupont door jam and trim clear its like 15$ a can but leaves a wet look finish in one coat
ALL 20S   +1y
even usin wax and grease you can still run into fisheyes in the paint or whatever, I would just let it rust a lil, its only survace rust. When your ready sandblast the spots, not a big deal
eyecandy customs   +1y
why not just a coat of spray can primer for now, then ready for paint, some 400 grit it all off, then start the painting process? or the clear powder coat. is there that much metal work that you want people to see it under the top coat is why you want to use clear anyway?...........
baggednshaved   +1y
you can! i own a custom paint shop in missouri and i use House of Kolor paints, my paint rep for house of kolor just informed me that they have a clear for bare metal and stick with no rust, should be out on the market this month or next.