threads
Page 3 of 3
Body work and Paint \  BARE METAL CLEAR COAT?

BARE METAL CLEAR COAT?

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 7981
replies 23
following 21

downplz   +1y
Originally posted by 1low02dak

just use a clear adhesion promoter i just polished my upper 4 link bars and cleared over bare metal but used a adhesion promoter so it would stick and it looks awsome and the clear i used is in a can its dupont door jam and trim clear its like 15$ a can but leaves a wet look finish in one coat

Thats about what i did to then ended up painting them but left a spiderweb deal in bare metal and clear the whole thing. havent had any problems with the clear flaking off the metal yet.

post photo
dragginbaggins10   +1y
i would really like to run it clear for a while for a few different reasons. One being i would like to show off the craftmanship and all the hard work that went into making the frame the way that it is currently. Two i need a quick fix so that i can drive it and not worry of it rusting. Three i dont want to add any colors to the truck until i decide what color sceme i want to go with the rest of the truck. four my dad mentioned the ideal and i just think it would look really cool if i could pull it off. Check my profile....i would just post pics but am yet smart enough to figure out how, yet.
rfrogers12371   +1y
as far as using ppg clearcoats. ppg recommends that you pretreat the metal with dx520 cleaner followed by dx579 metal conditioner followed by clearcoat itself. but, warned, that using this recommended procedure WOULD result in a yellow tint. im trying to figure out a clearcoat to work for the city I live in......Hartsville,s.c. to clearcoat a tin roof for our local waterpark that does hace a lil rust on the tin but, they want to preserve the petina look. this is tough, although I have sold ppg automotive paint products for 30 years.