Page 2 of 4
Body work and Paint \  waterborne paint

waterborne paint

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 3265
replies 34
following 17

sik_kreations   +1y
water is faster then solvent when u have the right setup. 3-5 min flash times.
seanb   +1y
Not sure if this is relevant because I haven't done any all over jobs with it and only have used some water basted paints available for airbrushing. But I don't like the stuff. I've heard it all before that I wasn't spraying it right, I didn't dry it properly, I wasn't using the 'latest' batch, etc. etc. I do a lot of tape work over the paints and they just wouldn't hold up. Constantly getting lifting problems and I know 99% of the time, euros won't give me the same problem. That said, I think it will become the standard in years to come so I guess we'll have no choice but to use it. Maybe by then they will have a "new and improved" formula... again.
Shane S   +1y
Dry times are not the only thing i don't like about it. I also don't like how long it takes to clean the paint guns. I have to break my gun down everytime I use it. With solvent the paint would rinse right out and I only had to break my gun down about once a week. I also did a two tone about a week ago and when i pulled the tape the paint wanted to string up too. Good thing it was a small area because it took a while to fix and i finally had to run a razor blade along the tape edge to get the tape to come up clean. I've also heard that i wasn't doing it right but I've been painting professionally for 11 years now and I didn't have these problems with solvent. I also argree that waterborne will completely replace solvent in the future but I think the waterborne technology is not ready yet and still needs to be improved.
Shane S   +1y
Oh and I've also heard that I just need to get used to it. Well we've had it in our shop for ten months now and I'm still not used to it!
sik_kreations   +1y
--------------------------------------------

seanb said:

Not sure if this is relevant because I haven't done any all over jobs with it and only have used some water basted paints available for airbrushing. But I don't like the stuff. I've heard it all before that I wasn't spraying it right, I didn't dry it properly, I wasn't using the 'latest' batch, etc. etc. I do a lot of tape work over the paints and they just wouldn't hold up. Constantly getting lifting problems and I know 99% of the time, euros won't give me the same problem. That said, I think it will become the standard in years to come so I guess we'll have no choice but to use it. Maybe by then they will have a "new and improved" formula... again.

def. not talking about auto air.. auto air doesnt hold a candle to automotive waterbase.
m2edragger   +1y
our shop switch over about 2-3 mounths ago where im the painter... it takes some getting use to but i'm handling fine with it, the only real problem i have with it is how the selling point was "color match" and how great it is... haha it's no better then solvent if you ask me
sik_kreations   +1y

Packy83 said:

our shop switch over about 2-3 mounths ago where im the painter... it takes some getting use to but i'm handling fine with it, the only real problem i have with it is how the selling point was "color match" and how great it is... haha it's no better then solvent if you ask me

what system are u using?
m2edragger   +1y
ppg enviorbase
sik_kreations   +1y
enviorbase is one of the top waterbase and colormatch is awesome with that line.. its alot of painters favorite brand out here in socal.
AZ ARTWORX   +1y
all i got to say is had five cars to paint one week before sema and the only one that didnt get finished was the waterbased one, that truck went with solvent based sealer ....one because it barely fit in my booth... two because they were five days late...and three waterbased wouldnt have made it if i had two weeks....its crap and lol everyone keep me in the loop when solvent dealing is like drug dealing....