threads
Page 3 of 3
Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 \  Thought it was the alt. but i was wrong! Now what?

Thought it was the alt. but i was wrong! Now what?

Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 Yota Engine Yota Tech
views 1688
replies 26
following 7

dubvipers   +1y
You stated you checked all ground wires.

My alternator problem was... the ground wire itself... well, the connector of course.

I know the alt. ground is tough to get to, but take the time to remove it, take a file to the connector, remove old material, and remove material from the washer that's on the bolt also. then take the time to firmly bolt it back onto the BLOCK of the motor.

I know my truck is EFI... but a few days ago, i thought my fuel filter was on its way out.. figures that the alternator wire i have (it has a inline split connector.. ) got loose and was touching the block on the low RPMs and during the high rpm's it'll bounce on and off the block.... causing the motor to spit around like crazy...

Good luck...
2thpic   +1y
well i'm back with alt. problems. for sure the alt is not putting out anything to the battery. huffff
so i'm going to replace the batt. connections and check on the ground bolt to the block and see if there is a prob. there. als sence the alt. will be off, i'll get that checked out again as well. i hope it's another simple fix like before, but for some reasion i think it like any other vech. that has set for a number of years. things start to break done and wear out from sitting for so long. cross your fingers for me.
dubvipers   +1y
Btw, before you bolt your connectors back on.... take a wire brush and just lightly brush on the surfaces just to remove any old material. simple things to keep the truck going!!
2thpic   +1y
Thnaks for the input.
You never know what all could be wrong or need to be fixed when you buy a 3rd owner truck.
One think for sure, you will find it out sooner or later. lol
dubvipers   +1y
Lol, i definitely understand... except.. i'm a 2nd owner... parents bought it preowned back in '94 for super low miles.........

And keeping track of what my dad maintained and didnt... is kinda tough!
2thpic   +1y
well i replaced the alt. saturday evening, after i got done working. i had it checked out at the shop and it was only putting out a little over 3 volts. it i'm back on the road and i can tell a difference with the new alt. the re is a little more pep in the motor. i gussing sence there was not the correct current going to the plugs before and now there is. or it could just be me. anyways i'm planing on replacing all the main power connections this week. in hope to prevent any future problems. btw sence i was down there i also clean the old connects to get a better current aswell.

thanks for the input, dubvip
dubvipers   +1y
no problem, i didn't suspect a bad alternator. I had alternator problems for 2-3 months due to the belts and bolts... but hopefully my alternator will stay in service!

Glad to see you running once again.