threads
Page 2 of 3
Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 \  Thought it was the alt. but i was wrong! Now what?

Thought it was the alt. but i was wrong! Now what?

Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 Yota Engine Yota Tech
views 1687
replies 26
following 7

90-b22dawg [andrew]   +1y
have you checked your dizzy under the cap for burn marks and build up and plugs to see if all of them are gettin fire? also check for vacumme leaks... does the 86 have o2 sensiors?... whens the last time you cleaned or rebuilt the carb? theres alot of things to check into that could be the cause....
yodaforce   +1y
My MR2 sat for a while and built up some water in the tank and it ran like that. Honestly I'm stumped. I guess it wouldn't hurt to get some fuel stabilizer or waterburn gas treatment to dump in the tank. I had to "drive it out" with my MR2. Sucked, but after about 25 miles, it cleared up. Bad news is when I hit an open straightaway, it started sputtering so I nailed it up 78mph and recieved a ticket from the highway patrol. He didn't believe the "water in the gas" excuse I gave him.
truck action   +1y
Have retested, & pulling the battery cable can damage the alternator. This comes from a shop that does nothing but alternator repair. The testing may not have been done correctly, & the test machine may not be good!
2thpic   +1y

new webber carb, installed about 3 mo ago.
all plugs are getting fire, but i dont know how rich the fire is. it will arc about 1/2 from the rotor cap when i pull the wire. so i fig. thats good.
2thpic   +1y

Drain and cleaned out the tank 4 weeks ago and flushed out the gas lines and put new filters all around.
2thpic   +1y

got a new volt meter yeasterday so i'll start checking out the volts thru out the system. yea i'll pick up a new alt and keep it clean anuf in case i need to take it back if thats not the prob. also i guess i'll start replacing the main power wires and see what come of that.

i have never ran into a crazy case likethis before in all my 20 years of working on cars.
This sucks and what will be the bad part of all of this is prob. when it is said and done.
The problem will prob. be a simple fix that cost less then 10.00 to fix. lol
layedout72   +1y

theres your problem haha. im kidding, but people say that come out of tune or just never really get tuned. i have no idea bro.
2thpic   +1y
well i didn't get a chance to work on my mini. Rain and mom day conflected with my panes.
nigels_world   +1y
My money says its a lean condition. A: You said it runs better with the choke on. The choke creates a richer mix which would help the truck run better if it was lean. B: You said you just put a weber carb on it. Did you jet it? Read the plugs? If not put a fresh plug in one of the cylinders, run it then read the plug. White its too lean, black-dark brown its too rich, chocolate milk is perfect.
2thpic   +1y
well i think i fig. out what was wrong, i hope!!!
i was going thru all the wiring under the hood. keeping track of the volts per wire and at diff. rpm's.
starting from the alt to starter, ing. switch and so on. i fould out that the wire for the elect. chock was getting the same vots as the rest of the system untill the rpms when up then it got less. tracked down a different power outlet that kept the same volts at all rpms then connected it to that. so fare no problems. i guess the power supply that i was tapping into was to a relay that needed all the volt with out any thing pig tailing off of it. so that would explan why after reving up the motor it would act crazy after words. well i hope my problem is fixed. if not, you know i'll be posting it in a day or so. lol