Page 1 of 1
Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 \  Motor Work on 1987 Toyota 22RE

Motor Work on 1987 Toyota 22RE

Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 Yota Engine Yota Tech
views 1004
replies 1
following 2

stu132u   +1y
I've got the vehicle torn apart (1987 Toyota SR5 pickup with 22RE engine) and trying to make repairs so that I won't have an issue while out on the road. Currently I'm replacing the timing chain guides, timing chain tensioner and I'm not sure if anything needs to be replaced (engine has 92,000 miles - not sure if anything has been changed out). Is there a way to inspect these items without a complete tear down? I've seen on a couple of websites that the timing guides can be 'slipped into place' - not sure what that means. I'm also in the process of changing out the exhaust manifold gasket, oil pan gasket , transmission pan gasket and filter, checking out the axle bearings on the rear, changing out rear end fluid, and checking the brakes. I'd like to get all of the transmission fluid out (I've seen that you only get out less than three quarts, NOT the total 9 quarts). Anyway, any guidance would be appreciated!

Stuart
costsalot   +1y
There are several things you can check with out tearing it down. You can do a compression test on each cylinder to let you know if your valves and rings are good. While you have the oil pan off you can remove one main cap and rod cap to check your bearing wear but with only 90,000 miles on it you should be ok but you never know.
Page 1 of 1