Page 3 of 3
Yota Audio Video \  painting my dash?

painting my dash?

Yota Audio Video Yota Tech
views 6573
replies 29
following 11

uselesstoy   +1y
i went to a auto body shop and had them mix me up a can of spray paint, it has alot more clear in at then any can you can buy at a normal store and it lays and covers really nice. ive used that metallic paint and it doesnt get that glossy.
holcombe347   +1y
hmm... could i get a can of clear coat and spray it while the paint is still wet to "add" the clear that way....or could i just wait until the paint dried then used a clear coat?...the only reason i say is because that rattle can is a really close match to my paint on the outside of the truck plus it looks good, better than it did before but i was just wondering if i could add another step to the process to improve it.
phatboislim   +1y
your suppose to wait until the paint is dry to the touch to do any other coats, including clear
holcombe347   +1y
yeah thats what i thought but i thought maybe it would have a different effect on the paint.
phatboislim   +1y
when i did the paint on my starions i tried to clear coat it, the paint was dry to the touch BUT it was humid. so when i tried to put the clear coat on it hazed up, never gave just a clear coat. so make sure its not too humid so it wont effect what the clear coat is actually suppose to do

hope that made sense
holcombe347   +1y
yeah i see what your sayin...its been nice outside lately not to hot and hardly any humidity. but tomorrow i think its supposed to rain. ill see what it feels like in the garage tomorrow when i go to do it. thanks for that tid bit though, i didnt even think about the humidity dulling things out.
holcombe347   +1y
WELL I GOT THE WHOLE DASH TAKEN OUT AND STARTED SANDING IT SO I CAN PRIME AND GET IT READY FOR PAINT...YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT, IT IS A LOT OF WORK (NOT THAT I THOUGHT YOU WERE LYING)...IS IT SAFE TO USE AN ELECTRIC SANDER TO GET THAT TEXTURE OUT OF THE PLASTIC PIECES?
uselesstoy   +1y
orbital yes, belt no.
holcombe347   +1y
so i started to rattle can my dash and didnt like the way the test peices came out so i decided to go all out on it and get automotive primer/paint mixed to match my truck and engine bay. i bought a set of guns and all the necessary stuff to get the job done right. i started on everything a few weeks ago and am just now getting around to painting it. anyways, i got a couple pieces done and i love the way it came out. i dont plan on cutting the clear coat so im just gonna spray it and call it a day. it looks really good, the picture doesnt do it much justice but it gets the job done. ill post up more pictures when i get it all back in the truck.

thread post photo

thread post photo

here are the hvlp guns i bought, they work pretty good.

thread post photo
phatboislim   +1y
o snap son...i might have to send out some pieces to u to paint