Page 1 of 3
Yota Audio Video \  painting my dash?

painting my dash?

Yota Audio Video Yota Tech
views 6568
replies 29
following 11

holcombe347   +1y
hey guys..i had a question about painting the bezels on the dash of my 88. i talked to a few guys who have done it to s-10's and what not they told me just sand down the bezel, primer it, and paint it with automotive paint. my experience with painting plastic with automotive paint was that it bubbles...so my question is..what would be the best way to paint everything or what is the steps in doing this task? i would like the bezels to be a glossy color. thanks in advance
holcombe347   +1y
oh i was going to paint the air conditioning grilles as well.
twisted minis   +1y
This is what I did to the plastics on my seats.

I sanded the texture off with some 80 grit. Then in steps went to 120, 200, 400, 600, and 1000 grit paper. I then primed them with high build primer, and sanded them again with 600, and 1000. Then primed them, and painted them. Turned otu just fine, never bubbled. But I just rattle canned that shit. Lol.
holcombe347   +1y
LOL COOL THAT HELPS ME OUT A LOT...CAUSE I WASNT SURE HOW TO DO THAT FOR SURE AND I DIDNT WANT TO MESS UP MY INTERIOR. I WAS JUST GONNA RATTLE CAN IT AS WELL.
phatboislim   +1y
twisted is a perfectionist so with him doing it that way and him satisfied and he says it looks good..then itll work..i might try that too
lunchbox   +1y
i am doing all the plastic in my interior that same way and so far, so good. it is a lot of work though.
twisted minis   +1y
Yea, its a shit load of work. Especially doing large panels like the plastic sides of my seats. I haven't done the insides yet, because its so much work. I want to see wether ro not they will be visibly first.

The little seat adjustment handles took me about 1/2 hour, for refference. I smoothed out some ridges and seams and they look great, but its definitely time consuming. And, if you use nice aerosol paint, then your stuff will turn out nice. I like using DupliColor primer. Its nice, but like $1+ more a can. Worth it though. And I also use Duplicolor paints, and Rust Tough.
3tcrob   +1y
I painted the whole lower part of my dash black and it was Doo-Doo brown get the Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric paint and get the adhesive promoter, I washed everything of mine with Dawn dish soap with some water in a squirt bottle, Took one of the Sponges with the green pad on the back and washed everything down, Washed it off and let it dry, Hit it with the promotor let it sit for 10 mins and painted no problems at all and looks 1 million times better
HTH
oldsklminitrk   +1y
And when you put it back together use grade 8 bolts
phatboislim   +1y
aye 3tcrob you never posted finished pics of your interior..and o yea i was suppose to get those interior parts offa you, i forgot the price..