Page 6 of 14
Toyota Pickup Projects \  not-so-sleeper

not-so-sleeper

Toyota Pickup Projects
views 15188
replies 130
following 21

macdave06   +1y
For the record, hooker sucks. I ordered headers in May and theyre STILL backordered from the factory. So instead of holding my project up for another month only for them to tell me they cant get em, I went ahead and ordered edelbrock headers instead. Theyre stainless rather than painted, so they were $600 bucks. Oh well they'll look pretty under the hood haha.

baha   +1y
Oooooh those are perdy
macdave06   +1y
haha. too bad everything else under the hood is black. Maybe I'll get the intake polished.
macdave06   +1y
well. I've kinda been slackin workin on this thing. I dont really have the motivation right now, just cause other things that are goin on right now. BUT, today I did go try and test fit my headers. Good news, the drivers side header fits in the engine bay nice and everything, BUT doesnt clear the steering, so now I get to fix that problem. May be solved when I move the motor back a couple inches. Passenger side however, I cant get to fit between the ear on the transmission and the bottom part of the firewall, or the frame. Once again, that may be fixed when I move the motor back a couple inches, if not this is gonna suck. A plasma would come in real handy right now.

thread post photo

thread post photo

by the way these are pretty nice quality headers. although the ceramic coating makes the stainless look orange peely.
macdave06   +1y
got tires on the rear wheels and got em mounted. Boy are they some fatties.

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

The beds not on the mounts but its close. It'll be moved to the right about half an inch and forward about 2 inches. I think I'm still gonna have to cut the tubs out a little to allow for suspension travel.
truck action   +1y
Hooker is big,& good ,but getting in stainless is better in any brand!. You can get them ceramic coated ,in black??
Had my stainless headers,muffler,& cat( along with all the pipe) ceramic coated,less heat,longer lasting & looks great!
macdave06   +1y
yeah but theyre already clear ceramic coated stainless. I wish I coulda found the edelbrock ones in raw steel cause I kinda need to adjust things(dont read that if you're a smog tech) and cant/dont wan't to cut and weld these pretty stainless ones. What I'll probably end up doing is putting a notch and welding in box tubing to clear wherever the headers hit. I'm wishing now I woulda just manned up and built a frame for this bitch cause I coulda got it exactly how I wanted, but oh well.
macdave06   +1y
oh so I cut the crush tube out of the steering shaft, and it just baaarely clears. problem is I'm gonna be moving the motor back a couple inches and its probably gonna interfere again, so it looks like I'm gonna have to run a couple U joints in the steering. I think I need to go make friends with my old metal shop teacher, and get some lathe time in.
baha   +1y
What if you made a custom header for the drivers side?
macdave06   +1y
Cant do it. It all has to be CARB approved parts, this things gotta get through the smog referee.