Page 4 of 15
Mazda Projects \  87 B2600 Ford 302 Build

87 B2600 Ford 302 Build

Mazda Projects
views 32960
replies 142
following 17

jc50942   +1y
honestly, the biggest reason i went with chevy is because i have personally had better luck with them, i know the chevy better and the parts are soooo much cheaper if something breaks, and more universal. But i will say that i really like the sound of a 5.0 with a good exhaust system. But just as long as you like what you got, thats all that matters.
crazycracker   +1y

Mazda and Ford are buddy-pal so it makes more sense to keep it all in the family. Chevy motor is fine in an Isuzu for the same reason (I also have one of them, a Luv truck). I'm one of those people, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth to see a Chevy engine in a Ford ya know? And one advantage of the SBF in a non-stock application like this; the dist is in the front so less firewall interference.
mtrain   +1y

A 351w will fit in there as well. I almost went with a 427w stroker I had on the engine stand. It would have been miles less complicated than the 363w twin turbo setup that I went with.
crazycracker   +1y

You've definitely got more of a hot rod setup than I am going for! Badass though (y)
crazycracker   +1y

Is this important, like is hood clearance an issue with a stock intake & carb? I assume the lower I set the engine, the more than means I have to cut the cross member. Or am I going to have to cut it no matter what? One other question - which oil pan do you use, the fox "dual sump" setup?
anguswilly   +1y

Even my RPM air gap manifold and K&N filter setup when I had a carb'd 5.0 was no clearance issue.

You don't have to cut the crossmember and yes, you use the Fox dual sump pan - fits perfect.
mtrain   +1y
[/quote]You've definitely got more of a hot rod setup than I am going for! Badass though (y)[/quote]

Thanks. Believe it, or not its going to be a daily driver. Brand new AC, and suspension mods made it a fun drive on the road. I just have to fab my bed lid to keep people from screwing with my turbo setup.

Also, I used motor mounts off of an 88 Mustang Gt. Since I had to have a "hat" over the carb for the turbo setup the SVO Mustang hood scoop just barely cleared the carb with the Vic Jr intake.

If you want a killer rear end give a try looking for a Ford 9" setup for a Toyota rock crawler. I bought mine off of fleabay, and I didn't have to do much to it at all as I used all of the brackets.

I got all of this with the 12" Wilwood disc brakes for $1500 shipped.
thread post photo
capri347   +1y

in the mustang and capri the convertible mounts were better for weight distribution since it made the motor sit lower i can only imagine that it would be better to use the convertible mounts in the mazda for the same reason
anguswilly   +1y
As long as you don't hit the crossmember, I think it's pretty close already
crazycracker   +1y
Well I got her home, barely before dark, and in the rain!

thread post photo