Page 2 of 15
Mazda Projects \  87 B2600 Ford 302 Build

87 B2600 Ford 302 Build

Mazda Projects
views 32961
replies 142
following 17

crazycracker   +1y

I hope to get that all sorted out soon too. I was going to pull it home on Sunday and get started working on it but the owner could not find the ignition key and I couldn't tow it here with the steering wheel locked.

What about the rear differential? Is it tough enough to live behind a V8?
347 stroker   +1y

I hope so... I should be finding out in the next few months... but it seems that it will from the other posts around here... There are plenty of posts on which mounts to use. I used solid mustang mounts for mint and swapped them around with little modificaitons.

We are close enough that we could meet you know....
izulowtoo   +1y

i have a toyota rearend and have been told it should hold up
sincitylocal   +1y

NO!
Not if you plan on having any fun!
I have been through three 2200 rears and I'm currently on the second 2600 rear.
It's been 5 years since my V8 swap, and I haven't driven it in a year and a half.
crazycracker   +1y

Ok then I am gonna find something a little tougher that fits the width & bolt pattern.
anguswilly   +1y
I don't know about the other guys, But I ran the B2600 2WD rear end which is a direct swap, I put the RX-7 FD torsen LSD in it and I was making 390whp on 9psi with a vortech S-trim on my 5.0 and had 265/30/19 tires - it would go sideways in 4th if I wanted to.

I now have the exact same diff setup in my turbo 2200 and it works great too.

I ran that same diff for 6 years with the 5.0 and some of that was daily driving to the tune of about 70K km, that truck is still running today and the diff is fine, I think you'd be fine with a stock 26002WD rear end, the B2200 rear is VERY weak, I have seen them broken with the stock motor and the speeder gets are tiny. Keep in mind that burning out on an pen diff just murders it because now you are transmitting 100% through the spider gears and that is bad...
crazycracker   +1y

Well I have nothing anywhere near that crazy in store, we're talking a stock 5.0 (probably 175 hp or so) with maybe 275 ft lbs of torque, so maybe I will just go with the stock 2600 rear and if it lives, it lives, and if it dies, I'll worry about replacing it then.
anguswilly   +1y
It's a good choice, bolt right in and if you break the diff, you can get the RX-7 FD torsen or the RX-8 "super lock" - I just bought an RX-8 super lock for $150 shipped, gonna go in my 4x4.
izulowtoo   +1y
AngusWilly what did u use for motor mounts when u were running the 5.0?
anguswilly   +1y
I did this swap a few times and used the same setup every time - mazda on the pass side and mustang on the driver side, just needed to drill the single hole for the mazda mount to go on the mustang engine block bracket.

Key is to use mustang brackets.