threads
Page 1 of 6
Mazda Projects \  Twin Turbo Mazissan (87 B2200)

Twin Turbo Mazissan (87 B2200)

Mazda Projects
views 8165
replies 52
following 5

AshPowers   +1y
Been building this thing for about the past year or so. Started when I let a friend borrow the truck and the little coolant hose under the intake manifold blew and he ran it till the head gasket blew. Junked the motor.

I've been playing with the Nissan 300ZX's for about 18 years now and have built some 50+ of them for customers, some monsters making 4-digits to the rear wheels.

So I put together a fresh non-turbo VG30DE using non-turbo 10.5:1 compression pistons, lots of portwork, bowl work, port matching, etc, only to find that the headers would not clear the frame rails. For kicks I put a set of my high flow cast iron manifolds and a set of stock turbos on it to see if it would fit and it dropped in there like it was made to fit, so I freshened up a set of stock turbos with new bearings, etc and went to work on building the engine mounts, trans mount adapter, induction piping, exhaust, wiring harness, radiator, driveshaft, etc.

Thing ran like a champ running 10psi of boost on 93 octane fuel. Probably around 360RWHP on the stock solid axle rear end, which I knew wouldn't be happy with some 4X more power going through it than it was designed for.

I obtained a 1995 300ZX TwinTurbo rear subframe assembly with the R230 (9.1" Ring gear) with a viscous LSD and 4-wheel electronic steering with the idea that I would someday install it when the Mazda chunk let go. It ran like that for about 10 months until she finally shred a spider gear.

A lot of modification was needed to fit the 300's rear suspension under the truck so the frame had to be extensively modified. Instead of attaching the struts to the original mounting points and having them protrude up through the bed, I fabricated some F1 Indy style pivot arms and mounted the shock absorbers horizontally underneath the bed.

The front suspension was also heavily modified so I could use the 5-lug 300ZX spindles and 4-pot brake calipers and my big brake kit using a 13: Cobra rotor set.. Lower control arms were built from scratch, upper control arms were modified, steering turnbuckles and main steering bar was modified to get the steering geometry in check.

The original fuel tank had to go in order to fit the 300's rear subframe so I fabricated a SS fuel tank and fit it in with a walbro 255 pump. I also made the bed with two large hinge points so it could pivot upwards and I fabricated a winch system using an ATV winch, motorcycle chain and reducing sprocket set, high tensile steel cable and a rotating drawbar. It is even remote controlled with a small pendant on my keychain. Makes for interesting visits to the gas pump.

Recently I retuned the ECU so I can run E85 and this fuel is absolutely amazing. At 14psi of boost she was putting down 420RWHP and the NA clutch started to slip. I recently installed a TT flywheel and high end clutch to hold the power. I can squeeze 28psi out of the stock turbos and she lays rubber at 60 from a roll in 3rd gear. Prob around 540RWHP at this point.

I have been putting together numerous Solidwork models of what I want to do with the body as the final icing on the cake. I'm looking at the XXR 968 wheels in 20"X11 for the rears and 20X9 for the front. The wheels were intentionally located out beyond the body so I could fabricate widebody fenders. I know the truck community typically tucks them inside the body but I've always been shooting more for a track truck, raodcourse racing; with a low and wide-slung appearance.

The front end needed some revision to modernize it a bit and I played around with a few different designs but ultimately came back around to the Mazda grille and gave it some flair with a lowered air dam, air scoops for ducting air up to the intercoolers, and projector headlamp assemblies. The rear has been designed with a diffuser, a small updraft lip at the top of the tailgate, thinline illumination and dual exhaust.

The upper bodyline on the doors and bed have been raised up about 1.5" which will give it more of a sleeker appearance - kindof like a chopped top, and lower side skirts to drop the bodyline down an extra 3".

Right now just waiting on 740cc injectors and a 340L/hr fuel pump and then taking her back to the dyno to pound out some 500+RWHP numbers.. and then I'll start in on the wheels/bodywork/interior.

There are 150 images in the gallery I created for this project - hope you enjoy them!

http://www.mazdabscene.com/userphotos/album/7497/page
Post was last edited on Oct 31, 2016 10:10. This post has been edited 2 times.
Post was last edited on Oct 31, 2016 10:10. This post has been edited 1 times.
AshPowers   +1y
more photos
post photo
post photo
post photo
AshPowers   +1y
more photos
post photo
post photo
post photo
AshPowers   +1y
more photos