Page 1 of 15
Mazda Projects \  87 B2600 Ford 302 Build

87 B2600 Ford 302 Build

Mazda Projects
views 32906
replies 142
following 17

crazycracker   +1y
I'm about to undertake a Mazda B build, 87 regular cab 2600 with bad engine, replace that with a late 80's 5.0 converted to carb. Nothing too bad-ass, just a stock 302 so as to give the little truck a little more towing & hauling power, and have something more reliable than the Mitsu 2.6.
anguswilly   +1y
I have done this a few times, one thing for sure - putting a carb on a 5.0 HO motor makes it a real dog.

It's just as easy to wire the injection once you realize it's impossible to jet the carb so it'll ever run right.

Are you planning to use an AOD tranny?
crazycracker   +1y

Yep, it'll have the AOD. I've done one EFI to carb conversion and one TFI to carb conversion, no complaints performance wise about either. It's a lot more difficult, expensive, and time consuming to go the other way though!
sincitylocal   +1y
I disagree! If you have a complete donor vehicle, there is very little increased difficulty or expense. You might need a little more time, but it's negligible.
Either way, it's your build... do it your way.
crazycracker   +1y

Well, I do not have the entire donor vehicle, but I could easily list several things that make it more difficult than swapping in a carbed engine.

1. Fuel pump
2. Fuel lines (incl return line)
3. ECU
sincitylocal   +1y
I know all of what's involved, and it's really not that bad. I've done it.
I'm not trying to convince you to stay EFI, just that it isn't much more work.
anguswilly   +1y
100% true, once you have done the EFI, it is not that much hard at all.
crazycracker   +1y
I'm doing a 5.0 EFI conversion on an old Mustang right now, so I can certainly assure you that it is a lot more work and a lot more expense compared to a carburetor. But that's neither here nor there, I don't want to get off into that debate anymore if it's all possible to avoid it. I'm replacing a carb'd Mitsu 2.6 with a carb'd Ford 302 and that will be the extent of the engine mods at least for the time being.

Can someone offer some advice on motor mounts? I read that you can use Mustang motor mounts and flip them over, but it was not clear which year-range Mustang. I was assuming fox-body era but then a lot of the fabrication kits are made to use old-school motor mounts (such as you'd find in a Mustang from the 60's).

I'm pulling the Mazda home this weekend. Have not removed the old engine yet.
anguswilly   +1y
One little thing I did was use the factory vent line as a return.

Yeah - if you want use a carb no problem. The AOD will make it tons easier to do.
izulowtoo   +1y
i am also doing a carbed 302 in my 92 B2200. I also need to know which motor mounts to use. i also have been told that i can use the mustang mounts and run them driver to passenger and vise verse.