Turbo KIA FE3 Stroker Build

Mazda Projects
views 48057
replies 69
following 17

applianceguy   +1y
LOL !

Why you gotta be hatin' ??

I love GM ! and Ford is good for trucks and vans.

Plans are to find a Sportage that is wrecked, that way it was most likely still running when it ended up at the JY.

Keep us posted on your build.

I definitely will need some help re;schematics for the Kia. I will ask you when ready, or if you can post them here, or in the Mazdatrucking forum in the tech section.

Thanks!
applianceguy   +1y
I bought one.

It came outta this..,
" target="_blank

Looks rough, I know, but it is really an awesome engine with only 92,000 miles, so it is going in,"as is". Besides, I cannot find a deal like you got on the forged pistons.
More pics...,
B4,

after,

I was turning the engine by hand when taking this compression reading.

Spark plugs indicate a very healthy engine.
jmuse8482   +1y
Did you just get the engine or harness/Sensors/ECU and all? Was it a 5 Speed Sportage? If not, you'll need to source a Sportage Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Clutch and all. Or you can use a G6 Transmission (B2600) + forward half of driveshaft if you want something pretty much bullet proof.. from what i have read/heard, the B2600 flywheel will bolt up to the Kia's crank as is. I all ready have a G6 trans+some, this is what im about to do. But im also gonna need it. Haha
applianceguy   +1y
I bought a starter from P N pull. I was able to crank it over to check compression, but I took the starter back, because It dragged really badlly.

Compression is AWESOME!

I pulled the wire harness complete with Hall sensor engine and auto trans ECU. I cannot seem to find a std. trans Sportage anywhere. I might need help with how to bypass the auto trans controller.
jmuse8482   +1y
The tranny ecu should have no bearing on how the engine runs. It will throw a check engine light probably but you'd never know it. Hopefully you got the mass air flow sensor.
applianceguy   +1y
Yes, I think. Is that on the crossover tube?? If so, then yes, I got it. Or is it in the air filter housing, as I have not found an air filter housing worth buying yet.

Do you have any more updates on how your truck is running?? No surprises, I hope.

More pics. please?
jmuse8482   +1y
Truck is running fine so far i guess. Still have a few issues to figure out. 1 of them is why i cant run more than 8 psi without a miss fire. But it runs under 8psi just fine. I got tired of *trucking* with it so i just left it at 7.5 psi.
jenko   +1y
Spark plug gap would be my first thought for your misfire with increasing boost.
Probably yours as well
Means either putting more juice into your existing plugs or decreasing the gap.
It's good if you have another set of plugs to play with... either that or make sure you record what the gap is currently and keep it in a safe (remember-able!) place before changing it

Also... AWESOME JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post was last edited on Jul 14, 2013 11:07. This post has been edited 1 times.
cab+rider   +1y
Great job there jmuse8482!! I envy you guys that have the time and expense to do that setup!! Same goes to mazdizzle!!
jmuse8482   +1y
Well, as far as the plug gap goes...... I have all ready tried that and it did not work. Very little change if any at all. I did the same thing with my F2T when reaching 26 PSI, and it solved my issue then but not with this engine. I had to change plugs from stock FE3 (KIA) to a much colder plug due to compression (Since I have 11.2:1). I have all ready killed a head gasket once all ready because the stock plugs where too hot and my timing was to high. I have finally got my timing just about correct just cruising through the RPM's and not in boost. I have it 100 % correct in boost on the bottom end. Now i just have to work on the top end. The trucks feels like it quits making power after 4500rpm. Which makes since, you need more timing at a higher RPM to make power than you do on the bottom. So i correct it ill be good. Then ill work on more boost and figure out WTF is going on. I am running 2 GM Coil packs getting more juice to the plugs would mean buying some ACCEL replacements or using changing coil setup all together which isnt happening right now. LOL