Page 5 of 5
Mazda Engine General \  EZ engine swap?

EZ engine swap?

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 18285
replies 45
following 13

sincitylocal   +1y
A Weber carb is not emissions compliant for these trucks. Here in Las Vegas, we have emissions standards similar to California... otherwise I'd have had a Weber years ago.
Gingie_boy   +1y
Dang. Thank you though ima go start a new thread with a few questions not pertaining to engine swaps.
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
Gingie_boy. You are going to hear a lot of opinions about a Weber carb as an option, but your statement that you live in a tightly regulated state like Utah should warn you against tampering with any of your emission control devices. When the stock carb is doing its job, fuel is atomized by an electronic solenoid inside the carburetor, leading to better fuel mileage and performance. If you take the time to understand carburetor theory and operation, you will see that leaving everything stock will avoid problems for you. Just so you know, if I were ever in the market for another B truck, I would pass on buying one that had been tampered with. That is something to consider, as well as the fact that if you swap the carb out and you get caught, you will be in line for being fined.
These trucks are 86-90 hp slugs and a carb won't fix that.
Gingie_boy   +1y
Mazdatweaker_2 thanks for the advice. I am slowly starting to realize that yes it is a slow turd. But I would still like to get as many ideas as possible. More and more I realizing that maybe I should just fix it and sell it for something a little more fun for myself. At the same time though driving a polished turd sounds really appealing.
Post was last edited on Jan 20, 2018 01:01. This post has been edited 1 times.
geterdun   +1y
I have dropped a couple of 4.3 GM truck (never van, a/C and alternator too high for hood to close) engines into mazda 2600's. Only change to truck, rearrange emergency cable route under driveshaft. It really is a drop in fit, not to say it can be done as simply as changing a chevy II from four cylinder to big block V8! I went with H.E.I. distributor and carburetor. Twice the torque/180 hpr stock. And no computer!
There are a lot of details to do, so is life!
Make driveshaft, exhaust, p/s hoses, a/c hoses, radiator hoses, must have mechanical speedometer tailshaft housing on transmission, no fan clutch (makes engine too long). Use original radiator, the metal one (lower hose will have to be pieced, I forget ends but used pipe under engine crankshaft pulley).
Post was last edited on Jun 18, 2018 09:06. This post has been edited 1 times.